Inviting a community in SL to Kitely

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Selby Evans

Inviting a community in SL to Kitely

Post by Selby Evans »

What should I say to a community in SL about opening a location in Kitely?

I presently support (pay for) Hobo Island in Second life. Since I am moving some of my activities to Kitely, I will want to invite members of the main users of that island to establish a location in Kitely. My current plan is to set up a fixed price region for the Hobo group.

Following is a draft of the note I intend to send to the group. Please look it over and add comments about additions, corrections, and the like.

Keep in mind that the Hobos are content creators, geeks, and others with years of experience in SL. -- Selby Evans

Hobo note:

Are any hobos interested in a place on Kitely? I would set up a Hobo place if there are some that want one. This would be like a sim, but would have 100,000 prims, would allow 100 avatars, and the dimensions are 250x250. A region contains 65,536 square meters, or about 16 acres. Firestorm is probably the viewer of choice there, but you need to have the opensim version installed on your computer. Kitely is one of the destinations listed there, but you can also login With your Facebook credentials. In either case, you will be using the standard version Of Firestorm for open sim. Or you can use other viewers that work on opensim

Some Kitely plans involve time charges per avatar (and allow lots more space), but if I set up a Hobo place, I would choose the fixed price (at $40/month).

This place would not have an open sandbox. It would have an operating group and be accessible only by that group. The group would have a managing structure similar to groups in SL. There is a mentors group in Kitely and Hobos could join that if they wanted.

My interest in starting activity in Kitely is partly explained here:

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/ ... e-for.html
Further explanation: The direct effect of the change in TOS is a developing concern on the part of creators. But the indirect effect may be an accelerated decline in the use of SL. Some of the explanations for this acton suggest that LL may be reducing its effort to maintain SL or may be preparing for bankruptcy proceedings. In any case, the situation is unsettling, so I am preparing an alternative location in case SL becomes unusable or undesirable.

Considerations

Creators: Kitely has a web based market place, but the number of potential customers is probably much smaller than the SL market place. Kitely marketplace has arrangements for you to mark your products for export to other grids and is presently developing plans to support efficient transfer of products to other grids in the hypergrid system. People could transfer products now by making an OAR file, but that would be cumbersome for most products. On the other hand, creators could produce an OAR file and sell that as a product, if they own all the content and the content is marked for export.

Everybody: Kitely does not have a large active population as does SL. Nor does the operating structure support that at this time. You would need to bring your own people via existing SL groups, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, blogs, or other outworld communication sources. Kitely is preparing to enable Hypergrid, which would substantially expand the potential audience, but I have not seen an estimated date.

All Geeks: Ilan Tochner, the CEO, reads the forums and responds with tech help where needed. He is a geek and thoroughly understands the system. I think that practice leads to faster system improvement and better customer satisfaction.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 2):
Ozwell WayfarerAmiryu Hosoi
Constance Peregrine

Re: Inviting a community in SL to Kitely

Post by Constance Peregrine »

perhaps it is a typo or perhaps you meant it to be so...but, region sizes are 256x256 standard.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Selby,

First, thank you for the initiative. :-)

I would suggest the following changes:

1) Dimensions are 256x256 (not 250x250).
2) Until we enable HG-access you'll need a Kitely account to login to the Kitely grid. Kitely accounts can be created from scratch (email/password) or using Facebook or Twitter profiles.
3) Kitely Market is an advanced, feature-rich marketplace that has been designed from the get go to enable merchants to sell from a single online store to all hypergrid-connected OpenSim grids. This will save merchants a lot of time and effort in trying to reach customers that would be hard to reach otherwise, due to the spread out nature of people using different OpenSim grids.
4) Unlike selling content via OAR files, Kitely Market will enable automated delivery to buyers without grid owners having to upload and test their content in all the various grids they may wish to sell to.
5) Kitely currently hosts more than 4600 user regions compared to the less than 20000 user regions that SL hosts. Our system automates most operational activities, other than answering customer support questions and requests.
6) Kitely Market's HG-delivery system is expected to be ready for roll out within the next 4-6 weeks.
7) Avatar HG access in/out of Kitely should be ready before the end of the year.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineDundridge DreadlowSally CherryOzwell Wayfarer
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Minethere Always wrote:perhaps it is a typo or perhaps you meant it to be so...but, region sizes are 256x256 standard.
Typo -- Correction made -- TY
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Selby,

First, thank you for the initiative. :-)

I would suggest the following changes:
TY -- I will include this info. This content will later become a blog post.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Selby :-)