Check me on my blog post about Kitely

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Selby Evans

Check me on my blog post about Kitely

Post by Selby Evans »

Here are some items to appear in an upcoming blog post about why I chose Kitely as my alternative virtual world support. Please correct any errors and point out any missing features that would be important to non-geeks

Low cost for large area, 256 X 256 M. per region
100,000 prims per region
Fixed cost plan: $40 per month for one region, no costs to anyone for being there)
Time-based plan: $35 per month gets 20 regions and unlimited time for you
Visitors cost 20 cents per hour. You can pay or visitors pay

Megaregions up to 16 regions in size that behave as one big region
Easy export of your intact work (oar files). (cost: about 3 cents)
Easy import of your intact work (oar files). (cost: about 3 cents)
No question of your exclusive intellectual property rights (TOS)
CEO Ilan Tochner reads the forums, provides help.
Hypergrid connection (TBD)
Hypermarket*--Market to the hypergrid (TBD)

*Hypermarket
I made up that name
Hypermarket lets you sell goods to any place on the Hypergrid
To be ready by the end of the year
Links:
Kitely Market Presented in OpenSim Community Conference 2013
Content Liberation Front

Question: Is it possible to have multiple regions connected as they would be in a megaregion, but just connected as they could be in SL, not functioning as a megaregion. I assume that offline regions would not be visible from adjacent regions, but that online regions would be.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Rikku Cosplay
Graham Mills

Re: Check me on my blog post about Kitely

Post by Graham Mills »

If you are suggesting that you could form worlds greater than 4x4, then I think the answer is negative. On the other hand, if you mean do you have to operate 4x4 (or smaller) worlds as megaregions, the answer is negative; it's a simple switch you can throw either way. It's worth noting, however, that regions in a 4x4 world cannot collectively hold more than 100 avatars.
Selby Evans wrote:Here are some items to appear in an upcoming blog post about why I chose Kitely as my alternative virtual world support. Please correct any errors and point out any missing features that would be important to non-geeks

Question: Is it possible to have multiple regions connected as they would be in a megaregion, but just connected as they could be in SL, not functioning as a megaregion. I assume that offline regions would not be visible from adjacent regions, but that online regions would be.
Last edited by Graham Mills on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

100,000 prims per region
This is not quite accurate. It is actually 100,000 prim per region or mega-region. 100,000 max per world, regardless of the number of regions.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Yup, I updated my post on that.
Sherrie Melody wrote:
100,000 prims per region
This is not quite accurate. It is actually 100,000 prim per region or mega-region. 100,000 max per world, regardless of the number of regions.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Having said that, I noticed that two of my single region worlds are by chance quite close to one another when you look at the (entirely functional) world map in Kokua. I have no idea what the minimum distance between regions is (it seems to default to 7 regions at present) and whether you would ever be able to see one from another even if they couldn't be directly adjacent. Presumably a 4x4 would be separated on two sides by only 4 regions from the next region.

Anyway, while island-hopping I came across Brigid Yoshikawa's Ravenscar which is being built alongside a novel she is writing. Not finished but very much worth a visit: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Bri ... avenscar-2
Graham Mills wrote:If you are suggesting that you could form worlds greater than 4x4, then I think the answer is negative.
Last edited by Graham Mills on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I'm not sure what your intended audience is. You're using quite a few terms without explanation. Or is this an outline for a more expansive blogpost?

Time spent inworld (outside any minutes included in a time-based plan) costs between 20 and 30 US cents per hour, depending on whether you buy KCs at a discount or not.

What do you mean by "intact work"?

Using terms like "oar files" is likely to mystify. Talk about "back-up files" instead? Note that these cost between 3 and 5 cents per region (so backing up megaregions costs 40 KC, 90 KC or 160 KC).

I'd recommend not making up names like "Hypermarket" -- it will potentially confuse people, since the term already exists and means something different to what you are trying to make it mean. Just describe things in simple language, for example "Sell to the Hypergrid via Kitely Market" (but will your intended audience understand the term "Hypergrid"?)
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Thanks, Dot. This is outline for a longer post that will expand on the terms. The intended audience is people with experience in Second Life.
The blog is here:
http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/
Selby
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Rikku Cosplay
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Thanks Graham and Sherrie. I have adjusted the language to reflect your comments.
Selby
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

That's a pretty extensive blog there Selby. Just did a quick browse through. Can't wait to go back and read more later. :)
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Ilan Tochner