Variable Sized Regions Coming To OpenSim

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Sarge Misfit

Variable Sized Regions Coming To OpenSim

Post by Sarge Misfit »

I read this in the OpenSim Virtual Community on G+. https://plus.google.com/u/0/10970568516 ... aZRfNmQYEZ

Variable Sized Regions is an AuroraSim feature that let's you configure a single region to be almost any size you want. This means that instead of having a 16region mega, you can have a single region that is 1,024m by 1,024m. There are no region boundaries except for those at the very edges of that variable sized region, just as there would be for a standard 256x256 region. One of the biggest benefits of this is that you have data for a single region, not data for 16 regions as you would with a megaregion setup.

I am wondering what this might mean for pricing plans in Kitely and I think it is best to start a discussion now, thereby giving Ilan, Oren and the rest of the Kitely team some good lead time to prepare.
Last edited by Sarge Misfit on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post (total 2):
Jean SwashbucklerSelby Evans
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Jean Swashbuckler

Re: Variabel Sized Regions Coming To OpenSim

Post by Jean Swashbuckler »

Sarge Misfit wrote:I read this in the OpenSim Virtual Community on G+. https://plus.google.com/u/0/10970568516 ... aZRfNmQYEZ

Variable Sized Regions is an AuroraSim feature ...
I am wondering what this might mean for pricing plans in Kitely and I think it is best to start a discussion now, thereby giving Ilan, Oren and the rest of the Kitely team some good lead time to prepare.
Good catch Sarge. I was following this in the Opensim-dev list. Will be interesting to hear Ilan and Oren's perspectives.
Sarge Misfit

Re: Variable Sized Regions Coming To OpenSim

Post by Sarge Misfit »

I'm not on the dev list, got this via the G+ Community.

WordformtheWise provided an email address for the dev so people can get the fork to help test it.

We soon get Varregion (Auroras Megaregions) in standard Opensim .. if somebody is interesed in testing contact "Mister Blue [ misterblue@misterblue.com] " And yes, Singularity and Forestorm already support those Regions ..

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Our response will depend on how much this improves server resource usage in comparison to our Advanced Megaregions technology.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Keith SelmesKaren Vela
Jean Swashbuckler

Post by Jean Swashbuckler »

Ilan Tochner wrote: improves server resource usage in comparison to our Advanced Megaregions technology.
That's what I like about Kitely, very focused. Don't need the new shiny unless it adds value to customers :)
These users thanked the author Jean Swashbuckler for the post (total 2):
Mykyl NordwindKaren Vela
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Our response will depend on how much this improves server resource usage in comparison to our Advanced Megaregions technology.
I didn't think of that.

I do know that AuroraSim's variable size regions use fewer resources than an equivalent sized OpenSim megaregions, which I wrote about over two articles http://excelsior-station.wikidot.com/archives#toc25

Ilan, it might just be worth it for you and your team to run an AuroraSim instance for yourselves. I would certainly be interested in your results.

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Sarge Misfit wrote:Ilan, it might just be worth it for you and your team to run an AuroraSim instance for yourselves. I would certainly be interested in your results.
I agree it would be interesting to know but we wouldn't spend time testing AuroraSim unless we thought switching to using AuroraSim is more important than the other things we're currently working on.

Our Advanced Megaregions technology already provides us with most, if not all, of the benefits of using Varregions. We're therefore unlikely to test Varregions until we see they become part of standard OpenSim and other people publish compelling benchmark comparisons between using them with OpenSim and using standard megaregions. The comparison you published may not give an accurate picture when Varregions are used with OpenSim instead of AuroraSim. Now, if you could repeat that test with Varregions running on OpenSim, that would be interesting :-)
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Sarge Misfit wrote:Ilan, it might just be worth it for you and your team to run an AuroraSim instance for yourselves. I would certainly be interested in your results.
I agree it would be interesting to know but we wouldn't spend time testing AuroraSim unless we thought switching to using AuroraSim is more important than the other things we're currently working on.

Our Advanced Megaregions technology already provides us with most, if not all, of the benefits of using Varregions. We're therefore unlikely to test Varregions until we see they become part of standard OpenSim and other people publish compelling benchmark comparisons between using them with OpenSim and using standard megaregions. The comparison you published may not give an accurate picture when Varregions are used with OpenSim instead of AuroraSim. Now, if you could repeat that test with Varregions running on OpenSim, that would be interesting :-)
I was simply thinking that you have better testing and diagnostic software than I do. As for my testing OpenSim varregions, I plan to :D

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Great, please keep us updated about your results.

Testing 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and bigger sizes with 15K and 100K prims could be useful.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Great, please keep us updated about your results.

Testing 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and bigger sizes with 15K and 100K prims could be useful.
Will do, once the varregion makes it into the release binaries
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post (total 5):
Jean SwashbucklerKeith SelmesCecil GudkovOzwell WayfarerCarlos Loff