Variable Sized Regions Coming To OpenSim

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Nala Rissa

Re: Variable Sized Regions Coming To OpenSim

Post by Nala Rissa »

Even if they add to a release it might be years before all the bugs are worked out and production quality more so how it will have to be adapted for bullet physics,
My biggest concern would be land edit tools they already are very hard to use vs SL and nothing has been done in years about it so I can imagine trying to work and edit a variable the size of 16 regions it will be another terraforming nightmare for the average OS user :cry:
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Nala Rissa wrote:My biggest concern would be land edit tools they already are very hard to use vs SL and nothing has been done in years about it so I can imagine trying to work and edit a variable the size of 16 regions it will be another terraforming nightmare for the average OS user :cry:
Well, then, perhaps they will hire someone who knows how to terraform, quite well-))

[then I will make the sillions [sic] I have dreamed about!!!]
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Rikku Cosplay
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Nala,

OpenSim 0.7.6 (which will be rolled out on Kitely in about a week) includes various terraforming optimizations which greatly improve its performance.

See: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.6_Release
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Rikku CosplayRobert Stanley
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Nala,

OpenSim 0.7.6 (which will be rolled out on Kitely in about a week) includes various terraforming optimizations which greatly improve its performance.

See: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.6_Release
hmmm, well, unless I missed something [which is, of course, entirely likely, as I lost my mind some years ago]...I did see a mention of improved terraforming, then I read the one line about some improvement in it but nothing specific said, then I tested it myself, and did not find anything improved. [ I have 7.6 in my soas and another place]

I can't recall what I read they did, exactly, but it seems it had to do with some odd thing that had nothing to do with what I do, so I ignored it.

dunno, tho, really...more than that.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Sarge Misfit wrote:
Ilan Tochner wrote:Great, please keep us updated about your results.

Testing 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and bigger sizes with 15K and 100K prims could be useful.
Will do, once the varregion makes it into the release binaries
As I am starting to use varregions in my off-grid self-hosted work I would very much appreciate Kitely supporting them for at least ease of OAR import.
These users thanked the author Serendipity Seraph for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serendipity,

You can upload an OAR made from a varregion into a Kitely Advanced Megaregion and vice versa.
Selby EvansRobert Stanley
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have seen var regions tried out on other grids, and can give a little bit of a report:

In one grid they decided to convert their mainland into a 10x10 var region. (That is 100 regular sized regions!)

One advantage of regular regions is you can share the load, but some regions on one server, and others on another.
With var regions, the whole thing must run on a single server. All the prims must be handled by a single server, all the terrain. You can "fix" this by running on a really big, fast server.

There are some problems with viewers: Viewers may load terrain slowly because they have to load all the terrain in the 10x10 var region at once. Your viewer might run out of memory loading all the terrain and other resources from a var region. "Fixing" some of these things may require re-writing deep parts of the viewers, so I would not expect improvements soon.

My personal experience with the 10x10 mainland var was that it worked fairly well. (Almost as well as Kitely Advanced Mega Regions!) FireStorm had a strange pause: every once in a while it would freeze up for a 10 seconds, then things would start moving again. Singularity never showed this behavior. Once I finished building and scripting, my sailboats (for example) worked fine. It is amazing to have so much territory to sail around in and explore from the water!

Other people had trouble building and scripting on the 10x10 var region as it started filling up with content. Eventually they decided to discourage people from building, scripting and having big events on the var region. Develop elsewhere, then import to the big var. It is still a nice place to explore.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansRobert Stanley
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You can now import VarRegion OAR Files into Kitely: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... -campaign/
Danko WhitfieldConstance Peregrine