Greeters

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Amiryu Hosoi

Greeters

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey guys,

I just returned from the Kitely Welcome Center. There was a new visitor and Dot send me a tp. When I arrived we were with 6 people;-) We had a nice conversation with our new friend;-) This event made me thinking. Would it be an idea to place some kind of warning device at the landing spot at the Welcome Center that sends an IM to a list of volunteers. Like people that are online a lot. I am not sure How to check if a visitor is fresh but I am sure there is a way to do this. What can be better then arriving at a new world and find some residents welcoming you?

I would volunteer

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post (total 6):
Sherrie MelodyCecil GudkovDeuce HalseyDundridge DreadlowMarstol NitelyHandy Low
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Cecil Gudkov

Re: Greeters

Post by Cecil Gudkov »

I think is a great ideea and this remind me when i first create account in a grid and join it for the first time. Arrive in a welcome area and very fast five people visit and greetings me... also that way i found an old friend who recognized by name and send me all the info about that grid.

Well, the script is very easy to create... we can use also a NPC that welcome the new visitor until we arrive there, invite them to Kitely group and send us a warning.

I would volunteer also!
These users thanked the author Cecil Gudkov for the post (total 4):
Amiryu HosoiDeuce HalseySherrie MelodyIlan Tochner
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Cecil Gudkov wrote:
I would volunteer also!
How could one possibly not like that! :D
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I can easily add something to message people, however, I (currently) have no real way to check when people are online to message them..
Unless they are prepared to wear a scripted object all the time :)
(I already have the tech in SL, I'm planning on integrating it with Kitely shortly anyway)

I do have a greeter NPC that can easily be added and updated, he currently lives at the Computer Plaza. Maybe he has a twin brother that could work at the Welcome Centre if we want to go with the NPC idea.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

...as to being greeted by other people on visiting the first time...

Personally I'd freak out. The second time I'd probably be fine with it :D
That's just me. I'm probably weird.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 2):
Deuce HalseyMarstol Nitely
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:...as to being greeted by other people on visiting the first time...

Personally I'd freak out. The second time I'd probably be fine with it :D
That's just me. I'm probably weird.
I agree. Leeway needs to be given for new visitors who might be interested in learning what they can on their own.
It certainly won't hurt to offer help and guidance to new visitors to Kitely, as long as it's not a high pressure situation.
Five people greeting me on first arrival would probably freak me out a bit too. ;)
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Dropping in for the first time, I would prefer to browse quietly. And the current Kitely set up is good for that.
If someone popped up and tried to be friendly, I'd probably go along with it, but it's not needed.

If 5 avatars popped up suddenly, I'd be gone. Probably just hit home and page up and drift off somehwere less crowded, and they can talk among themselves.

I'm sure it's a good idea to have a presence for those are looking for it, in fact a good thing if there are a few people around, and perhaps most people would want to be greeted, but some of us would prefer if it was optional.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Just to clarify what happened in this case, a couple of us were chatting in the KWC, and the group slowly expanded as people arrived over time. It wasn't an intentional mobbing.

The new person turned out to be a Dutch speaker, which is why I IM'd Ami.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

ah well, that's nice and friendly.

I was getting a minds eye view of how it would be if an automated messge went out and 5 helpful avatars appeared instantly.
Probably never would happen like that, but it tweaks my sense of humour.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post:
Deuce Halsey
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Dot Matrix wrote:Just to clarify what happened in this case, a couple of us were chatting in the KWC, and the group slowly expanded as people arrived over time. It wasn't an intentional mobbing.

The new person turned out to be a Dutch speaker, which is why I IM'd Ami.
You don't have the translator Dot? I gave Ami a copy if not...NL is Nederlander/Dutch

Personally, when I go to a grid I usually type gth 5000 while I rez in and get my bearings. But then I am a grid traveler and don't need mentors or whomever bothering me.

I think a basic chatbot or a click to activate NPC might be useful. On another grid they have a nice one that is not intrusive but answers some limited questions upon clicking or talking within her distance settings.

Nothing beats some real folx tho.

I do have a greeter script that a guy made [who is no longer around] that was pretty useful. If they were less than 7 days upon landing in the Kitely Plaza [maybe throughout the grid, I don't recall as I have stopped using it] it would show their name and a link to IM them. It was very simple and easy to use. It is no-mod notrans though...but it can be done.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...