Lovely new map tiles

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Ilan Tochner

Re: Lovely new map tiles

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I haven't tried that Minethere but you can test and see (it can take up to a day for world maps to regenerate so you'll have to wait to see the effect your changes make to the map).
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Minethere Always wrote: I had heard that if one puts a full region prim, textured, at 300 m it will show that in the world map. I tried it elsewhere and it didn't work.
I know that kind of thing still works in SL. I just checked and a neighboring region to my SL HQ still has a full-sim sign overhead - a red heart on a black background.
The region name is Odi Freddi on the SL Mainland (Continent #7 - near the eastern juncture of Linden Routes 7 and 7A). I have yet to see this kind of thing in OpenSim.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Ok, I just thought to save myself the effort if you knew already Ilan.

And thx Deuce for that info.

I have seen it in opensim but I think those were done via changes in an ini file or something, I forget what specifically I read on that, or where it was.

In any case, I will go in now and place it and look in a few days to see if it works.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Rikku Cosplay
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Out of curiosity, did it work? Also, is there a specific time of day when the map regenerates?
Minethere Always wrote:Ok, I just thought to save myself the effort if you knew already Ilan.

I have seen it in opensim but I think those were done via changes in an ini file or something, I forget what specifically I read on that, or where it was.

In any case, I will go in now and place it and look in a few days to see if it works.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Graham,

Map generation times vary but are no more frequent than once per 24 hours.
Constance Peregrine

Graham Mills wrote:Out of curiosity, did it work? Also, is there a specific time of day when the map regenerates?
Minethere Always wrote:Ok, I just thought to save myself the effort if you knew already Ilan.

hmmm...well, I don't think it did. I think I did it, watched over a couple of days, didn't see it, and moved on. I have put other OARs in since.

Ephemeral wanderer...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I can confirm that prims at 100 m show up though they naturally don't display textures. I'm trying 200 m and 300 m now with a simple prim-built number on a white disk. The idea in this case is to use numbers on the map as an additional navigation device.
Minethere Always wrote:
Graham Mills wrote:Out of curiosity, did it work? ...?
hmmm...well, I don't think it did. I think I did it, watched over a couple of days, didn't see it, and moved on. I have put other OARs in since.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

It seems to work with a 20 m cylinder/disk at 100 m and 200 m but not 300 m. In case you were wondering, doubleclicking the image of the prim on the map takes your avatar to the equivalent ground location so it is potentially useful for navigation. I don't know whether it's significant but the image of the prim number seems thinner at 300 m.
Graham Mills wrote:I can confirm that prims at 100 m show up though they naturally don't display textures. I'm trying 200 m and 300 m now with a simple prim-built number on a white disk. The idea in this case is to use numbers on the map as an additional navigation device.
Last edited by Graham Mills on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constance Peregrine

ok, but for my purposes, not showing the texture is the deal breaker as I wanted my logo to show prominently on the map.

i know there is a way to do this as I have seen it in Metropolis, but it may need something done in the simulators, some change in the ini or something.

still, though, interesting use you mention

Ephemeral wanderer...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

And the final experiment is to try it with a mesh character...

And yes, I think it's a useful, albeit non-immersive, way to give directions to new avatars, especially students who might not have the time to learn about landmarks, inventory, etc, and where you don't want obtrusive teleport gizmos or boards. You could, of course, have a copy of the number prim at ground level to visually confirm arrival at the destination. Of course, I doubt that it's an original concept ;)
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine