Games in Kitely

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Kayaker Magic

Re: Games in Kitely

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have a hunt-able Yerik (a Pandoran 6-legged deer-like thing) working in several other grids. On my loooong list of things to bring here.
I have bows to hunt them, but they die from any physical object moving fast enough (even an avatar!)
Problem I have had with them is that firing physical arrows requires "Everyone Builds" permission to rez the arrows from the bow.
I don't mind setting my land that way, I assume people who do combat with projectile weapons have to turn it on.
But I've run into situations where people wanted huntables without making their land a sandbox.
Another thing on my looong list of things to do is a non-projectile hunting system: The bow broadcasts a trajectory on a negative channel, the prey scripts listen and calculate if they are hit. This would work on non-sandboxes, and you could add it to a combat system...

Of course on my short list of things to get working here are surfboards, waves, surf kayaks, windsurfers and sailboats. (All working with some problems in mega regions). So we can have sailboat races and surf contests.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineGraham MillsSelby EvansOzwell Wayfarer
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

That reminds me of an idea which I had a while back. It sounds simple enough in principle, but I looked into the scripting side of things and ran away from it all rather quickly.

I wanted/still want to run a fortnightly "Bug Hunt". Basically, to populate an area of dungeon or cave with bugs which can be splatted with a sword or spell (which you can bash other players with too, of course ;) ). The person with the most splats at the end wins a prize, with a championship at the end of the year.

The part that I really had trouble with is finding a way for the system to keep score.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:That reminds me of an idea which I had a while back. It sounds simple enough in principle, but I looked into the scripting side of things and ran away from it all rather quickly.

I wanted/still want to run a fortnightly "Bug Hunt". Basically, to populate an area of dungeon or cave with bugs which can be splatted with a sword or spell (which you can bash other players with too, of course ;) ). The person with the most splats at the end wins a prize, with a championship at the end of the year.

The part that I really had trouble with is finding a way for the system to keep score.
You can do most of that with the Myriad System I posted about earlier.

As for keeping score, upon dying, have each "bug" say something on a private channel; that lists who the killer is and whether it was a single (critical) blow or many that killed the "bug". The scoreboard listens for the info and displays appropriately.
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Sarge Misfit wrote:You can do most of that with the Myriad System I posted about earlier.
It was Myriad that I attempted with, it was the scoreboard that really fuddled me. I dont claim to be any kind of scripter, but I will look into your pointers. thanks Sarge!
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:
Sarge Misfit wrote:You can do most of that with the Myriad System I posted about earlier.
It was Myriad that I attempted with, it was the scoreboard that really fuddled me. I dont claim to be any kind of scripter, but I will look into your pointers. thanks Sarge!
Yeah, I checked the scoreboard thing, too. It definitely needs work. I thought it would be some sort of big billboard sort of thing. Its what prompted me to start thinking about using llRegionSay and such with osText being used on the billboard. However, between the Murder Inc project last October and my own lack of scripting knowledge, I wasn't able to look into any further.
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

..peeks upwards, looks around..
billboard eh..
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.