Going beyond the Second Life paradigm

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Handy Low

Re: Going beyond the Second Life paradigm

Post by Handy Low »

It strikes me that once you make the leap into changing things on the client side, you've taken on a whole lot more work. I know InWorldz have done this (with, I believe, a forked version of the Firestorm client) but perhaps for Kitely the available resources are better channeled into the server side.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post:
Barnard Smith
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I would personally never use a grid's own viewer at all.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Minethere Always wrote:I would personally never use a grid's own viewer at all.
Out of interest, why not?

Vanilla Firestorm doesn't seem to work very well in Inworldz, so I use their V2 beta viewer when I go there. I wish it wasn't necessary, and I don't know why it is.
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

Handy Low wrote:
Minethere Always wrote:I would personally never use a grid's own viewer at all.
Out of interest, why not?

Vanilla Firestorm doesn't seem to work very well in Inworldz, so I use their V2 beta viewer when I go there. I wish it wasn't necessary, and I don't know why it is.
Well, since you refer to inwz specifically. This is why, for example:

https://bitbucket.org/inworldz/inworldz ... common.cpp

Code: Select all

// Don't allow muting/blocking of InWorldz founders or people who need to always 
	// create IMs for support reasons. NOTE: do NOT display this in the UI! Founders
	// and support people are just, that: people. This is for support reasons only
	if (av_id.notNull() && LLGridManager::getInstance()->isInIWMain() || LLGridManager::getInstance()->isInIWBeta())
	{
		if (inworldz_keys.empty())
		{
			inworldz_keys.push_back(LLUUID("675d3d9f-64d9-11de-b0c3-fdcafd93e9d8")); // Elenia
			inworldz_keys.push_back(LLUUID("d2990096-d1c0-4038-ae46-e704746d5b73")); // Tranq
			inworldz_keys.push_back(LLUUID("e0ada3cd-b3d4-4b23-9804-d090516f38e7")); // Legion
			inworldz_keys.push_back(LLUUID("173fa675-0c9e-4352-b321-e8faf56b5140")); // Mai
			inworldz_keys.push_back(LLUUID("d95dd1e7-de3b-48fd-9458-2f3a06adce2a")); // McCabe
			inworldz_keys.push_back(LLUUID("15e426fd-3260-4a18-aff0-231673b1a8f3")); // Bug
So, of course, anyone can be added that they wish to add.

And the point being, if this does not disturb you [the royal you...lol] is they can put whatever they wish into the code.

My personal feeling is that these small commercial grids [sl is really an exception tho I don't use theirs either...but then I don't go to sl anymore either...lol] would only do their own viewers to restrict ppl to their grid only by putting in features only their viewer can see. And none of it is even needed. But of course inwz does that in other regards also.

Avination has their own viewer also, though I have never used it.

Ephemeral wanderer...
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

To be honest, Mine, that doesn't particularly disturb me. I treat the IW viewer just the same as any software I download and install - I have no reason to be any more suspicious of it than of anything else, especially other TPVs. Sure, there's an trust involved, but I'm sure that if there was anything untoward, word would quickly spread.

Then again, I used to be an avid Emerald viewer user in SL, and look what happened to that ... :)

I've not used Avination either, and I didn't know they had their own viewer.
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

Handy Low wrote: Then again, I used to be an avid Emerald viewer user in SL, and look what happened to that ... :)

I've not used Avination either, and I didn't know they had their own viewer.
hehe-))

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

just as a matter of interest...

how excited would people be if I were to implement a voxel generator that could create voxel-mesh terrain, and more importantly, how much could I earn from doing it ? (I need to replace full time income when my current contract ends in a couple of weeks)

What about a more traditional (much easier) tiled-mesh landscape system with holes in it ?

I've got a couple of different implementation ideas that would work - for full or partial regions. Both would require saving externally and uploading the final generated mesh(es) to Kitely. Yes, I've done terrain systems before..

What it can't do: Seamlessly blend textures in world to the same level as existing terrain. Sorry. Nothing in world can currently support this without the previously mentioned multi-texturing or shaders. It would also be unable to alter finalised meshes in world without re-uploading.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineOzwell Wayfarer
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

I would need to know a little more of what it would be capable of, but I would certainly be interested, doubly so if I could use the meshes as part of creations for further sale. There are of course plugins for 3DS programs but they are generally geared towards higher poly environments. It would be interesting to see an OS specific solution.

As someone who sells landscaping stuff, I think both would sell quite well. People are still very much in the stage of building their sims and any cool landscaping tools I am sure would be welcomed. The lack of texture blending is problem. Could it some way assign multiple texture faces to the mesh? You could maybe work something out that way, but I am guessing you would need to export it to do this too :| .
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

multi-face stuff, certainly. Fully tiled, definitely. Export and then upload, required. Can't have everything.

The simplest way would be to go with tiled terrain (with holes obviously) - this would be of "any" size, "any" resolution, and be fully movable and rotatable once imported. I've used this technique to create caves previously. (I would give you slightly more than a standard locked size grid though :)) There are a couple of very different ways of doing this. There would be nothing to prevent multiple "terrains" interlocking to use more than 8 faces, so you can blend your own textures.

Voxel terrains - this would work pretty much the same way you do roads, but with voxels :) I already have voxel rendering code I wrote previously lying around. This would likely be a LOT harder and more effort but luckily use most of the same techniques. A lot of the tiled tech would be lost to the different techniques unfortunately.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dagon Xanith

Post by Dagon Xanith »

I have use several viewers but the one I like most is kokua because I understand how it functions.
I have went and used avinator once. It was just another sl like ghost town to me.
I don't have a problem with sl like ghost towns when the equivalent is a bunch of zombies stand around a laggy club or way too much going like aol chat room that I get headache being there.

I have never went to inworld but one the things that really made me wonder about them is there numerous policies around their own monetary system and the commercial use of anyone else other than them making any money out of that world.
Its bannable offense for a resident of inworld to make real money off any product the resident creates and sales there.
That doesn't seem like very good commercial practice.

I have my own wish list if I had the programming skills and way to do so.
I personally would improve MOAP, SOAS oriented systems that more user friendly and make more in game tool options for creative expression.
And if I had those skills I probably would focus on deliver services for whole lot less money then some places but I am not big fan of money for various personal reasons and cost, hassles around it.