Incorrect phantom settings on Marketplace items

Ask questions about using the Kitely website
Erik Bainbridge

Incorrect phantom settings on Marketplace items

Post by Erik Bainbridge »

I've bought over a dozen Export items on the Kitely Marketplace in the last week and all of them had the incorrect phantom settings! Objects that should be phantom, like trees and rocks, were not. Objects that should not be phantom, like houses, were phantom. In all cases except one, I was able to fix it by checking or unchecking Phantom in the edit panel, but in one case I needed to use the fix-phantom command on the server.

I bought the items from four different sellers, all of them established sellers, and I had the problem in two different OpenSim grids (my personal grid and a not yet open commercial grid that I'm building for a client). I've only tried one of the items in Kitely, a house, and it had the same problem. It was all phantom.

I can fix the problem on the items I purchased. I'm posting about it here in case it's a Kitely problem and not just the sellers setting phantom incorrectly.

CORRECTION: One item I purchased, a bridge, was correctly set to non-phantom.
Deuce Halsey

Re: Incorrect phantom settings on Marketplace items

Post by Deuce Halsey »

I have purchased buildings from two different vendors through the Kitely Marketplace and all the structures were correctly set to non-phantom. In fact nothing that I've purchased from the Marketplace (a wide variety of items from various vendors) has had incorrect phantom settings - at least none of the items that I've actually rezzed in world at this point. I have not actually tried using everything from some of the sets of items that I have purchased.

That said, I have had items unexpectedly show up as phantom when I rezzed them in world. In all cases they were freebie tables and chairs that I had taken copies of from other worlds. I suppose it's possible that these items had been set to phantom in the world where I copied them, but it doesn't seem likely. Why make a chair with a sit animation phantom?
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Deuce Halsey wrote:Why make a chair with a sit animation phantom?
i dunno, but i make as much stuff phantom as i possibly can get away with [other than, for example, a house]...i had read or heard someplace that it reduces lag or something related...but, even if not, it helps to move around easier...

and moving around easier is wut i am all about!! [and I have no clue what that sentence means, either]

stuff bought? I dunno on that, sorry OP...
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Minethere Always wrote:
Deuce Halsey wrote:Why make a chair with a sit animation phantom?
i dunno, but i make as much stuff phantom as i possibly can get away with [other than, for example, a house]...i had read or heard someplace that it reduces lag or something related...but, even if not, it helps to move around easier...
Oh, is that why most plants/trees in OpenSim seem to be set to phantom? I thought it was a bit odd, though I admit that it does make it much easier to move around - and I agree that is a good thing. While I'm perfectly willing to accept the convention of phantom trees/plants in OpenSim VWs, making basic items like tables and chairs phantom makes me feel a bit too much like a ghost. ;)
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The less non-phantom objects in the world the less the physics engine has to handle which results in less lag.

See: http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=579
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Constance Peregrine