How Demos work, same properties as actual product?

Ask questions about using the Kitely website
Sherrie Melody

How Demos work, same properties as actual product?

Post by Sherrie Melody »

I'm experimenting with the store, and added a product. Before I make it active, I want to make sure I understand how Demo versions work.

If I want to have a demo of the product, do I just upload the same folder of objects to the Variation Demo Items as I added to the Variation Items list?

Will the demo have the same permissions as the actual product. For example, if the product is C/M +E will the demo also be C/M +E?
Ilan Tochner

Re: How Demos work, same properties as actual product?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sherrie,

Each product variation can have it's own demo items. Those items will be the ones you add to the variation's Variation Demo Items.

Adding the same items to the Variation Demo Items table as you did to the Variation Items table will result in people being able to get the product you are selling with the same permissions as you're selling it with but for free.

What you'll want to do is make demo items that are non-Modify, and brand them with textures and attached objects that clearly mark them as demo items. Then add those demo items to your inventory and from your inventory to the Variation Demo Items table.
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Thanks Ilan. Oh, that's okay. I don't actually have the energy to make a whole new verson, LOL! I'll just put a copy in the demo area. If people like it and want to, they can always buy the product for another copy.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That would mean you'll be using the demo feature to give away freebie copies of your actual products. Please don't do that, it's not inline with the spirit of our Product Listing Guidelines (see Demo Items section).
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Sorry Ilan. I'll take the product down.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Sherrie but that won't be necessary :-)

Just remove the items from the Variation Demo Items tables of all that product's variations.

If you create a standard demo object (e.g. a big cube prim with DEMO written on all sides) to use in demos you'll be able to quickly add demo items to products by attaching that prominent demo object to them and making the joined object non-Modify. The goal is to allow people to test out the product but to not want to stay with just the demo version if they want to keep it.