Other Peoples Items in OAR

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Lunk Portal

Re: Other Peoples Items in OAR

Post by Lunk Portal »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:56 pm
What if you duplicated the core build at a very high altitude -- high enough not to cast shadows at ground level. Do the experimentation up there, then, when all is well, bring it down to earth (umm...?) and integrate it with the official build.
How high do you go to not cast shadows or show up on the map?
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

It depends on the viewer draw distance setting, the maximum setting being 1024m in Firestorm.

Experimenting with a 256mx256mx2m prim platform, with the viewer draw distance set at 1024m, Sun/Moon shadows on, and Midday time, shadows disappear from ground level (on a hill at 43m) if the prim platform is at height 2150m, but it might be safer to go a bit higher -- say 2500m or 3000m.

You also need to think about any planes or spaceships -- they might fall into the shadows if set at a high level above the ground.

I suspect the rule is:
1 Find the highest point of the build at ground level, including any flying vehicles.
2 Add 2x1024=2048m to that measurement.
3 Add a bit more for safety, and so that the platform is at an easily memorable height and straightforward to get to via "gth 2500" say.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerLunk PortalSelby Evans
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Lunk Portal wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am
Dot Matrix wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:56 pm
What if you duplicated the core build at a very high altitude -- high enough not to cast shadows at ground level. Do the experimentation up there, then, when all is well, bring it down to earth (umm...?) and integrate it with the official build.
How high do you go to not cast shadows or show up on the map?
Many moons ago (haha, Tatooine joke) I had a product on the market called Sky Numbers which were basically large numbers that you rezzed in the sky and that showed up on the minimap to assist with tp. I seem to have recommended placing them at 100-150 m which suggests anything above that might not be recorded on the map so Dot's suggestion should be fine and then some. I made the lower surface transparent so they weren't visible from the ground but I recall that (unsurprisingly) didn't stop them casting shadows.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Lunk Portal
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Objects that are located above 1500m aren't included on the world map in Kitely. See viewtopic.php?p=27475#p27475
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Lunk PortalGraham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:32 pm
Objects that are located above 1500m aren't included on the world map in Kitely. See viewtopic.php?p=27475#p27475
Well it was many moons ago...
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Lunk Portal
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:32 pm
Thanks, that's the magic number I was looking for. Read about it once but the search for this forum doesn't always help me LOL
These users thanked the author Lunk Portal for the post:
Ilan Tochner
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Yes, objects just above 1500m shouldn't show on the map.

BUT they will cast shadows in-world if people have shadows enabled in their viewer graphics settings.

That's why I suggest experimenting first with real prims -- see what actual height is needed in your world for people using shadows and long view distances.

I found this out by accident, having set up a skybuild at a height I thought would be invisible from below (>1500m). I noticed an area of darkness on the ground, and was initially puzzled. But moving the skybuild higher solved the problem.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerLunk PortalGraham Mills