Continuous Link Set Limit

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Barnard Smith

Continuous Link Set Limit

Post by Barnard Smith »

Hey Kitely!

Can anyone tell me with some certainty what the continuous link set limit is in Kitely?? I’m building a little 20 X 20-2 story Baker’s House/Shope, and I’ve already exceeded the SL link set limitation. I was just wonderin what the link set limit was. I’d like to know so I can decide what I can or cannot do with the build. Thanks
Graham Mills

Re: Continuous Link Set Limit

Post by Graham Mills »

There's a thread called Linking limit -- or try searching on Klein. My record was 8000 approx but I don't claim that's practical for everyday building.
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Thanks Graham, if you meant to search here for a thread, then no luck. Both those searches here just turn up only our messages.
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Played a bit with the linksets in the past. Seems like Graham is right that you can link such large numbers - however things get extremely slow in doing more than approx 1000 - 2000 prim-linksets.
Another problem I saw is addressing the prims in such a large linkset: primcount / addressing prims within the linkset by scrips seems to pass out above approx 250 as far as my experience goes. Thus I'll use units of less then 250 for my larger builds in future unless someone proofs me wrong on the addressing prims in linksets > 250 topic.
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Graham,

I found the link I don't know why search doesn't pick it up for me. I read the thread and it still doesn't answer my question. although the thread was interesting it didn't provide conclusive numbers except to say it was a lot hehe. I will not ever need 8000 to 20000 prims in a linked set, but its nice to know that it is possible:) I also noticed that in the thread that the continuous link set limit maximum question for a physical object was never answered there either. Thanks again:)
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Thanks Min,
No I will not even need a 1000. Being a very old Second Lifer I'm just used to the ol 256 rule, and when I linked my build it was already up to 286 and it linked! I was very surprised. I still need a few more prims for the bake shop, a door, and a brick oven but that's it. I figure when I am done it will be well under 500 prims. I was just concerned and worried is all. Thanks again..I will not worry anymore:)
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Welcome to Kitely, Barnard-))

I wish I could think of where this information is for a surety...but I personally linked 1500 when I was testing prims limits on a region someplace [got 380k before I quit...lol].

There is also a much longer linking distance limit...I have in mind atm it is 64m but not being much of a builder and my memory failing quickly [and with little coffee], it may be another number, larger or smaller. [maybe 32? 128?]

I expect someone will pipe up who knows where this is written, eventually. Or someone can test it.

eta: I just linked 2 prims 128m apart [not sure at all if this has anything to do with this thread, either]

[btw, you can also create prims up to 256x256]
Last edited by Constance Peregrine on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I think the search in the forum is hierarchical. If you do it at Board level then it just searches the Board you are in. If you do it at Forum level then it searches all the Boards. In this case I suspect the link was in a different Board and I was just being lazy by not giving you the direct link.
Barnard Smith wrote:Graham,

I found the link I don't know why search doesn't pick it up for me. I read the thread and it still doesn't answer my question. although the thread was interesting it didn't provide conclusive numbers except to say it was a lot hehe. I will not ever need 8000 to 20000 prims in a linked set, but its nice to know that it is possible:) I also noticed that in the thread that the continuous link set limit maximum question for a physical object was never answered there either. Thanks again:)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I just want to chime in and remind people that using physical linksets can (under certain circumstances) be very taxing to the physics engine and create a lot of lag in your world.
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

Thanks Ilan,

So although my question was never entirely answered, judging by the responses there is very little limitations in the number of prims in a link set in OS? Don't worry I'm not going to start going around building huge builds with massive numbers of prims lol:)

I just linked the build you saw me start, and was surprised when it linked at 286. Prior to linking I didn't know what the total prim count was, but I knew it would be close. I fully expected the old SL "failure to link" error to occur. When the error didn't occur I knew I had a question for you:)

I know that huge link sets tax the physics engine, why wouldn't keeping track of huge numbers of prims make it harder in, start up, shut down, world on maintenance, and build movement, why wouldn't huge builds cause extra resources to be used, and in some cases create world lag.

I will create larger builds, my Link sets will be larger, but I will try to keep it as close to the SL standard of 256 as I can, certainly under 512 at all times. Larger Link sets allow for more freedom in creativity at the expense of resources and machine time, and even if the link set limit was only somewhat larger then the SL standard I would be happy.

For now I fully intend to exploit this new builder freedom of larger link sets, but not to go hog wild in the process:) It wouldn't do me any good to waste all my time building something massive, and then not be able to move it to another grid if needed because of its size. Thanks for the larger link set limit!
These users thanked the author Barnard Smith for the post:
Ilan Tochner