Access for Premium Users and a Group

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Boo Rojyo

Access for Premium Users and a Group

Post by Boo Rojyo »

Hi,

I've hit what might be a small teething problem, or more likely I'm doing something wrong.

I'm trying to set up my metered worlds for access to Premium members only, plus access to members of a group I own.

My group members are all regular members and a test seems to show they are still refused entry despite my updating access on the website.

I tried changing to allow regular users and that did allow the group member in, so I found a get around. However if possible I'd like to set access for Premium users and just this group.

Other that that I'd say the transition to the new plan has been really smooth. Thanks.
These users thanked the author Boo Rojyo for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Boo Rojyo

Re: Access for Premium Users and a Group

Post by Boo Rojyo »

Doh!!!!!!

Have reread the instructions, I need to allow regular users, and the group, and it only allows regular users from my group?

Well maybe this helps somebody else :oops:
Constance Peregrine
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

That's right. It was what I was trying too:
Dot Matrix wrote:I've a question about the new Access tab. It makes clear to the world manager the costs associated with Regular versus Premium Account holders.

However, suppose I would like to limit access to Premium Account holders plus those Regular Account holders who belong to a particular group. What options should I use?

I've just experimented by ticking the Premium box, unticking the Regular box, and setting up access to a group whose members include both Premium and Regular Account holders.

A Regular Account alt belonging to the relevant group could find the world on the viewer map, but when she tried to teleport there, there was a message that access was not permitted.

So I might not have fully understood the underlying mechanisms.

============
Edited to say that Oren's blog post (http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... -95-month/) explains that I would need to tick both Premium and Regular boxes to grant access to all members of particular groups, as in this scenario.

But then Premium members not in those groups would not be able to visit.
Ilan responded:
Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Dot,

It works like a logical AND operation. You are a Premium / Premium or Regular account user AND you belong to one of the following groups (if any groups are defined).

If a group is defined then it will also restrict access of Premium account users to just members of that group. It's not a Premium account OR anyone belonging to so and so group(s).

It's not as flexible as it could be but the user interface for managing the alternative option would have been too complicated for some users.
See: http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8295#p8295
Boo Rojyo

Post by Boo Rojyo »

Hi Dot,

Thanks very much for that. As you can see from my update i thought I was in the wrong. I've tested it and it will now let regular users from my group in, but I'm guessing nobody else.

Maybe Ilan wants to think about a slightly more complex setting (Usually I'm all for simplicity), for Premium users plus groups, cos personally I'm happy for Premium users to access my land. In the meantime they'll have to ask for access to the group, which isn't the best get around, but it's at least an option.
Kat Lemieux
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Boo Rojyo wrote:Hi Dot,

Thanks very much for that. As you can see from my update i thought I was in the wrong. I've tested it and it will now let regular users from my group in, but I'm guessing nobody else.

Maybe Ilan wants to think about a slightly more complex setting (Usually I'm all for simplicity), for Premium users plus groups, cos personally I'm happy for Premium users to access my land. In the meantime they'll have to ask for access to the group, which isn't the best get around, but it's at least an option.
You know, you may have hit on an interesting add in feature for the future. I have seen quite a bit of talk in many places [tho some of course from ppl with agendas opposed to kitely's success], about the complexities of the kitely plans.

And, since the answer was to dumb it down in an attempt to remove some of the complexities, thus removing other innovative options.

However, some ppl still find it to complex.

It makes me wonder if there could be some type of "advanced" features button [tied in with an IQ test...that is a joke] that those who can handle more complex options, can click.

There are many things that do such things. I have no ideas atm on how that could be well implemented [and would leave that to smarter ppl than I], but it may satisfy those who like simplicity [like myself in many regards mainly due to a failing mind] but who can also grasp the complex additional options.

I never found any of the options/plans to be too complex to do what I want to do here, but neither have I fully invested myself here to the point of needing to look into all this...and if/when I do or can, the simpler the better will likely be my focus.

However, many would likely enjoy having additional options available...but if done in some "separate" way, may fulfill a wider spectrum of users needs. I do like having options available, even if I do not personally avail myself of them...options, to me, equal freedom.

Anywho, I seldom suggest feature requests as my primary focus here is on seeing HG enabled [no need to interject the timetable on that, it has been said often enough]...so I do not wish to see that get further pushed back.

Still, food for thought?
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 4):
Boo RojyoDanko WhitfieldMin TigerpawKat Lemieux
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

Two points...

My sim, Evergreen, used to be set as Free for all visitors. That meant I paid the KCs to cover their minutes. Now, under the new plan, it is set to the equivalent...i don't know what term to call it and i don't want to use the wrong term and add confusion here...but it is still free for everyone to visit. i now only have to pay for the minutes of Regular account users now as Premiums have unlimited access.

which brings me to my dilemma. i wanted to be able to set it so that my alts could visit it without me having to pay for them, as they have Regular accounts. i thought i would be able to set it as open to all AND have it so members of my group could visit without costing me KCs.

but that can't be done and I read Ilan's explanation. i understand his point but i still wish i could do this the way i want. :)

which brings me to Minethere's comment...

I was also thinking, "gee I wish they had done it so there would be an Advanced options tab for some of the features that might be seen as too complicated for new users." however, i'll bet the Kitelys thought of that too and decided against it.

so i'm just posting my above dilemma as one of the features i would like to have if further tweaking of the plans/system/structure comes up down the road.

meanwhile, in general, i very much like the new price structure. i think it gives people good options at good prices.
These users thanked the author Danko Whitfield for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Danko,

Your Regular Account alts don't have to pay for their own time spent inworld the account which owns the world they are visiting does so. If your Metered World is open to all then you pay for all Regular Account users that visit it, including for your own alts. It sounds like you're already getting what you're asking to be able to do so can you please clarify what I'm missing? :-)
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

You are confused Ilan because I am not making sense, lol. That's why i can't do it.

Wasn't there a situation under the old system where you could set it up so anyone could visit by paying their minutes but members of a designated group could also visit and not have to pay - the world owner would pick up the charge? I was thinking about that when I was looking around at the new control panel...and obviously not thinking it through. :)

I was thinking I could set it up that my alts wouldn't cost me anything. I guess I was thinking, the damned world owner can pay. Forgetting of course that I am the damned world owner.

Never mind.

However, i must say, on the surface, my previous post appears well thought out for something that makes no sense. :)
These users thanked the author Danko Whitfield for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

lol-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...