is there better performance on an "Advanced" world?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Serendipity Seraph

is there better performance on an "Advanced" world?

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

As mentioned elsewhere I have had some pretty worrying performance issues with a Universal Campus build. Are the Advanced worlds coming with better performance guarantees like perhaps running on an EC2 instance type with better I/O and or more memory / cpu count?
Ilan Tochner

Re: is there better performance on an "Advanced" world?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We use Large EC2 instances for running simulators (we call those instances world nodes). Placing between 1 and 4 simulators per world node. The number depends on various criteria, one of them being how heavily used are the sims currently on the world node. If they are already loaded we don't start another world on that world node. This changes dynamically as worlds are started and shut down due to lack of activity.

Advanced worlds get more resources allocated to them on the world node so they are less likely to share a world node with simulators running other worlds, this means that on average and over time they should perform better than simulators that get less resources allocated to them. The hardware on top of which they run, however, remains the same.
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Ilan Tochner wrote:We use Large EC2 instances for running simulators (we call those instances world nodes). Placing between 1 and 4 simulators per world node. The number depends on various criteria, one of them being how heavily used are the sims currently on the world node. If they are already loaded we don't start another world on that world node. This changes dynamically as worlds are started and shut down due to lack of activity.

Advanced worlds get more resources allocated to them on the world node so they are less likely to share a world node with simulators running other worlds, this means that on average and over time they should perform better than simulators that get less resources allocated to them. The hardware on top of which they run, however, remains the same.
Then if I expect generally 40 avatars max and am not in need of more of 4 regions in a non-metered world I see no reason I would ever pay nearly twice as much for a so-called "advanced" world. For the advanced price I can run a standalone 4-16 region hypergrid open world on one of my own reserved large instances. So that seems a bit over the top to me.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Advanced Worlds will give you better performance under certain usage scenarios, but if a certain world option suits your needs then there is no reason for you to pay more for a different one. :)