Recently rezzed prims dissapear while I am gone

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
QuantumChaos Portal
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Recently rezzed prims dissapear while I am gone

Post by QuantumChaos Portal »

1 other question is have you tried reproducing this in a different sim. find a sandbox and try and see if its region specific. or if you have extras just drop a new sim out and try it there.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I've tried selecting areas where the trees used to be, and I wasn't able to find any invisible ones.
Now that I have switched the world back to mega region, and a fraction of the trees have re-appeared, I can select those, but I can't select any invisible ones.
I've looked in inventory and I don't see the missing trees in lost and found or in the trash. There are some there, but only ones that I deleted, not nearly enough to account for the 100's I have watched disappear.
I tried clearing the viewer cache (FireStorm) with no effect. Although I didn't try this before switching back to mega region.
The trees are made out of two sculpts, trunk and leaves. The truck is just a cylinder with ridges in this case to look like bamboo segments. The leaves is a plane sculpt folded back and forth over itself to create someplace to put 8 copies of a transparent branch/leaf texture map.
I'll mark everything in a copy of this as full perm for Oren to look at, and I'll try it out on one of the sandboxes, but I can't get to either of those tasks until late today IPST).
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Oh !

Megaregions.

Are you doing stuff across the borders ??

I'd strongly advise against it...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:Are you doing stuff across the borders ??
I'd strongly advise against it...
Suuff? Can you be more specific? I have decided to not let my autonomous scripts cross sub-region borders (any multiple of a 256 border) without enabling it in a dialog first. But vehicles must cross them by default! And that last stuff (vehicles crossing 256 borders) works just fine. Why have mega regions if you can't sail stuff across the border?
So the tree rezzer is always going to stay inside the nearest 256m border (and won't have an option to enable crossing). You have to start another one on the other side of the border. For now I cannot even run the dang thing with mega regions on, because of the problem with llGround which I rely on for 100's of things, including deciding where to rez trees. So for now, I have to turn mega regions off, rez trees in each region separately, then turn mega regions back on to go visit them in a vehicle. (Only to find the trees are gone).
And the latest behavior is: Even if I get the trees to hang around while I am gone in non-mega-mode, they all disappear when I turn mega regions back on.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Fascinating.
Physical vehicles should behave more or less correctly on mega regions, though I do know you are using non-physical vehicles :)
Which version of script rezzing does it use ? Are you doing the normal move-the-rezzer, then rez in the same place as the rezzer ? Is the group of the rezzer the same as the land ?

If the trees vanish when the mode is changed, it makes me think they are stored in a position that is being clipped away (for example at 260,260 out of 256,256) or something. Or worse still, if rezzed at 4,4 which becomes 260,260 which is a lot further away. If this is the case, there is a serious bug somewhere. I know there is a difference between manual rezzing, llRezAtRoot, and llRezObject, but I can't see where or how it stores the data easily.

If you add a script to announce the trees presence/location/etc, you can confirm if they are really there or hidden.

I gotta go test the rezzing thing across a mega-region border.
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dundridge Dreadlow

I've deliberately been testing across a region border to try to duplicate
  • Megaregion ON
    with megaregions ON I was able to rez a set of stairs across the border with no difficulty.
  • Megaregions OFF
    Returning to the world with megaregions OFF, I found that my rezzer had changed shape, effectively pressing "ctrl-Z" by itself after the restart/change. I also noticed that the script inside had disabled itself, and the rezzer object had become corrupted. It was straddling the border deliberately. I'm not sure if this has something to do with phantom script syndrome, where an object behaves like it has more than one script of the same name.
  • Megaregions (still) OFF
    I set a new stairs rezzer working on both sides of the border, it worked fine.
    Attempting to rez stairs across the border broke the script, as in the script had disabled itself.
  • Megaregions back ON
    My border straddling rezzer with a disabled script had moved itself to one side of the border and rezzed its stairs (!) Almost like it had pressed ctrl-Z by itself after the region restart/change again. I moved the rezzer and it rezzed a set of stairs across the border as normal again.
At no point did I lose prims. Sorry.
However, I did notice scripts disabling when switching modes. This might have have something to do with maths not liking that 255+2=1.
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Ctrl-Z? Why would UNDO make your script execute a call to llRezObject? I'm totally confused by this.
I have had scripts disable themselves when they tried to move underground. Some grids will let you move underground, let you move a short distance underground, let you do it with a phantom or llVolumeDetect(TRUE) object. I haven't investigated this but it seems to me that Kitely is more strict about moving underground than I am used to. I have had the tree rezzer die because it moved its center just a silly millimeter underground, and the server stopped it dead. That and moving off the SW sides of a region are the only things I've seen stop a script here.
The order of events that produce the disappearing prim most often for me are:
1) turn off megas
2) go to a region that is NOT the SW corner.
3) rez 400 objects. They all have co-ordinates that are 0-255.999 now, but that will have to be fixed when you turn mega on.
4) Log in and out a few time, fly over to look at them. Many of them will disappear after a minute as I watch.
5) turn megas back on, log in, fly over to look at them, most of them are gone.

One thing that might have a bearing on this. At one time I accidentally hit some key combination that marked a bamboo tree as Blocked. Perhaps they were all disappearing because they were blocked from me? But I turned that off and I check my block list regularly and it has remained empty ever since. But the disappearing prim act is still happening to me.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Kayaker Magic wrote: Many of them will disappear after a minute as I watch.
Are you CERTAIN they are not temp-on-rez ? Either originally set inside the rezzer, or by script, or by script NOT switching temp-on-rez off ?? I would replace/rebuild the rezzer and all it's contained objects and scripts to fresh shiny new ones to ensure it wasn't corrupted.

...the changing region mode effectively sent a ctrl-Z or equivalent to the last edited object on the land. I have no clue why it did this, but it did undo my last action to the object. This has also happened on single regions, an undo or equivalent was sent to the last object edited on (presumably) my entering the region. The call to rezobject was more of an "oh, this script is working now" after being stalled when the megaregions were switched off. Not sure why on that either.

I did rez a set of stairs while megaregions were switched off on a different corner to SW :) (Less than 400, will try that a bit later) They are still intact last I looked. Feel free to pop over to computer plaza and wonder at the amazing auto built stairs :D I'll check 'em again when I get home anyway.
PS. Kitely is awesome.