Mega-Regions = WOW!!!

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Adagio Greenwood

Mega-Regions = WOW!!!

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

I stayed up WAY too late last night setting up my first mega-region, a 16. I did follow Joe, Jr.'s suggestion of mapping the regions out before I started, created (in Excel) color blocks for each region, added the region number in each block, recorded the RAW file I settled on for each and any other notes I needed. For the whole mega-region I added notes on the Windlight and water settings I chose.

While I had it out of Advanced Mega-Region mode, fiddling with the RAW files, I was disappointed that I did not seem to be able to see more than five or six of the regions at the same time, even with my draw distance jacked up to 768. But once I toggled the 16 back into Advanced Mega-Region mode, BAM, there they all were! I could see every one of them even with a reduced draw distance. WOW!!

I LOVE the fact that I can set audio and Windlight for the entire mega-region; that really gives me control over the whole region experience. I can't wait to get back in tonight and start playing with terrain files. :) I am a HUGE convert to mega-regions!

All I can say is WOW.......... just WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!

Adagio
These users thanked the author Adagio Greenwood for the post (total 5):
Dinero OutlanderIlan TochnerVooDoo ProjectsMarstol NitelyJean Swashbuckler
Dinero Outlander

Re: Mega-Regions = WOW!!!

Post by Dinero Outlander »

ROFLMAO its good to see another HAPPY DANCING Kitely User :)

Last edited by Dinero Outlander on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dinero Outlander for the post:
Marstol Nitely
"I have often regretted my words, but never my silence."
"Talking comes by nature, Silence by wisdom." -Unknown
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Adagio,

Our Advanced Megaregions technology helps give regular OpenSim megaregions that little extra push that makes big Kitely worlds as good as they are :-)
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
VooDoo ProjectsMarstol Nitely
Bladyblue Bommerang

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

I made a 16 sim megaregon. Can I use a 9 sim OAR file there and then a 4 sim OAR file on different areas in the same megaregion?
Bladyblue Bommerang

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

In my search for megaregion information, I ran across this post on SLuniverse about a free megaregion splitting program http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/opensi ... itter.html

Since there is currently not a working MegaRegion splitter (the one that can be googled has a broken link to the application), I have quickly made a working MegaRegion splitter. It is not the best piece of software, but it should do the job.
It edits the XML files of the objects, transforming it into the scale of 256x256, and it copies the newly generated XML file into the corresponding folder of the corresponding region.
For example, an object has an X position of 260, this X position is edited so it fits in a single region, so it becomes 4 (260 % 256). The program does this for all positions in the XML, for both the X and the Y. Based on the original position, it determines the region it should be. (x = 260 / 256, x = 1,… = 1). Based on the X and Y position it should be in the grid, folder it will be copied to will be selected.
The program visually shows the MegaRegion, splitted in individual Regions based on the given size, and it shows to what folder this individual region corresponds. (More about this in the explanation of the program).
Since I made this program quickly to split Mega Regions into individual regions, I have not taken the time to do research on the assets, so it just copies all the assets to each of the individual regions. When you want to implement this yourself into the code, you can find the source at the end of this topic.

Then now for the tutorial on the program. We start with starting up the program, it will look like this:
We need to do 3 things before we can start splitting a mega region. The first thing is to select the folder in which the mega region is found in. You might think that a MegaRegion is an .OAR files. This is true, but for this program to work, you have to extract the .TAR file found in the .OAR file. The .TAR file is also an archive, so you have to extract the data out of this .TAR file also, and then you get to the native data. This should contain of 5 folders and an archive.xml file. The image below shows the window with which you have to select the folder that contains the data (5 folders and an archive.xml file).
Note, it doesn’t matter it contains other folders, but it has to contain the following folders: assets, landdata, objects, settings and terrains, since this will be copied/splitted.
Now the next step, which is submitting the size of the mega region. The size will be squared to determine the amount of regions created, so your mega region’s size will be size x size. In the image below is shown how the application will react when the size is 2 (and thus 4 new individual regions will be created)
As you can see, the program generates a map of how the mega region will be splitted. The number inside the square box corresponds to the folder that contains a single region.
The next step is selecting a target folder where the new individual regions will be created. It is best to select an empty folder, to avoid file collisions. In the image below I have selected my target folder.
Once you have selected your target folder, the button Split mega region will become unlocked, and when you press it, the program starts splitting the mega region. The image below shows the application in action when splitting a mega region.
This can take quite some time on a slow computer as my own, but that also depends on the size and the amount of objects and assets in the mega region. Once the application is done splitting, the data that is generated can be found in the target folder you have already selected.
The target folder will look like something similar as the image below.

The target folder will have folders named Region(number). The number corresponds to the number found in the generated map of the mega region. This is useful because with this information, you know in what single region you need to load which data. Each of these regions contain all the data they need, and the objects are converted so they have the correct position (and name, since in the name of an object, the position is also included, this is also converted).
After splitting, you need to manually change the terrain for the terrain that was saved in the corresponding region of the mega region. (You can also load the terrain manually after you have put this region online).
Before you can load your individual regions to your gridserver in OpenSIM, you need to select the contents of each region folder, and archive them first into a .TAR file, and after that in a .OAR file. This .OAR file can be loaded to the gridserver and attached to the correct region.

Note: in MegaRegions, objects can cross multiple regions, but collision detection will only be detected in the region the object is stored. So when you have for example a floor that covers 2 regions, you will walk trough it when you are in the region that does not include this object, but you will collide with the floor once you enter the region that has the floor stored. This is something this program does not do anything about, and problems with this should be manually resolved. When you think you know how to implement it into the application, you can just download the source and implement it.

The downloads:
Application can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3uypbpug2...20Splitter.exe
Source code can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x11vc4j4hl...ter%20code.rar

I hope this tool will be useful for the MegaRegions that need to be splitted. If you have improved the program, please share it with the rest of the users (the application as well as the source, so other programmers can improve it even more if they wish to).
These users thanked the author Bladyblue Bommerang for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Bladyblue,

You can upload an OAR file that contains more regions than the world you're uploading the OAR file into but only the number of regions that fit into your world will actually be used.

For example, let's say you have an OAR file that has 9 regions sorted in the following order:

----|----|-----
A1 | B1 | C1
----|----|-----
A2 | B2 | C2
----|----|-----
A3 | B3 | C3
----|----|-----

If you upload it into a 4-region world, you'll end up with the following regions:

----|----
A2 | B2
----|----
A3 | B3
----|----
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang