Weired behavior at setting parzel of region to mature

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Min Tigerpaw

Weired behavior at setting parzel of region to mature

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Tried to subdivide one of my regions with one parzel set to "mature" in the viewers land menu. It works in not letting access by avi's that are not ratetd adult ( :roll: This would allow me to have the MT Sexy Secrets section on the same region as the rest of my MT Kitely Shopping Adventure).
Howerver a weired behavior occurs (beside the ugly access denied electronic fence :cry: ) :
The avi hitting the border to the mature parcel enters a state where it can no more be kept away from trying to enter the "forbidden" parzcel. I can steer him away but as soon as I release the arrow-keys it will walk / fly back to the frontier (tested with Firestorm viewer). :evil:
Is that a known phenomenon? ... is there any way to prevent this?
Deuce Halsey

Re: Weired behavior at setting parzel of region to mature

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Min Tigerpaw wrote: The avi hitting the border to the mature parcel enters a state where it can no more be kept away from trying to enter the "forbidden" parzcel. I can steer him away but as soon as I release the arrow-keys it will walk / fly back to the frontier (tested with Firestorm viewer). :evil:
Is that a known phenomenon? ... is there any way to prevent this?
I had precisely the same thing happen to me on Quayside during Keith's Anniversary of Powered Flight Event. On my first visit I couldn't figure out how to join the group and when I touched the banlines around the airfield I started trying to stick to/return to that spot. In my case my avatar kept trying to return to the precise spot where it had touched the banlines.

My announcement of this problem is here (top message on 2nd page of thread):
http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 1&start=10

I was using Firestorm as well. The good news is that when I went back later and joined the group I no longer had any problems on that world.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

That's right Deuce : once the avi fulfills the requirement to pass the bannline it's not a problem ... so my Min-avi -rated adult- easily passes and can enter the adult zone. My alt Archie not rated adult faces the describe issue (same as you observed at Keith's place).
My problem is:
This way I would build a trap for non adult-rated avis, something I'd prefer to avoid ---- imagine my nice Sexy Secrets hideout turning out to be a moderate-avi devouring black hole :twisted:
That would be water on the mills of the ones seeing naked skin as the evil itself ;)
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Min Tigerpaw wrote:That's right Deuce : once the avi fulfills the requirement to pass the bannline it's not a problem ... so my Min-avi -rated adult- easily passes and can enter the adult zone. My alt Archie not rated adult faces the describe issue (same as you observed at Keith's place).
My problem is:
This way I would build a trap for non adult-rated avis, something I'd prefer to avoid ---- imagine my nice Sexy Secrets hideout turning out to be a moderate-avi devouring black hole :twisted:
That would be water on the mills of the ones seeing naked skin as the evil itself ;)
Oh right. I had been thinking of the problem in technical terms. It actually presents a serious problem in your situation, and most of the avatars in question will never be able to meet the requirements to pass the banlines. I don't know what to suggest.

I can tell you that I had never seen/heard of this problem before it happened to me about a month ago. And this from someone who spent five years living/working on the mainland in SL. My fav hobby over there was walking, driving or flying around the mainland looking at the scenery and seeking out interesting builds. So as you can probably imagine, I have run into literally hundreds of banlines over in SL and never once encountered this problem. What is causing it to suddenly occur in OpenSim/Kitely is beyond me.
Deuce Halsey
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please note that Kitely uses additional maturity rating controls on top of those provided by OpenSim. So, for example, if your avatar is rated General you won't be able to enter a world set to Moderate in our interface even if you change all the regions in that world to General via your viewer.

Please also note that, as it's easy to cam around to parts of a world your avatar doesn't have access to, our TOS requires world manages to keep the entire world appropriate for the maturity rating they've indicated via our website.
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Oki ..... got the point about peeping around with the cam ... ( even if that wouldn't mean that a guy could accidentally run into something he/she wouldn't like to see).
So I decided to move the adult part of Sexy Secrets out of the MT Shopping Adventure world, placed it on a separate adult region and created a warpgate access to it.
Hope that this turns down the concerns of the skin adverse communities.
Guess this will just keep the moderate folkes curious to what kind of evil den the suspicous gate may lead but not giving them a chance to cam in.
Kitely adult rating committee cordially invited to judge the gate-pavillon for being moderate enough. :roll:
These users thanked the author Min Tigerpaw for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineDeuce Halsey
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Min Tigerpaw wrote: I decided to move the adult part of Sexy Secrets out of the MT Shopping Adventure world, placed it on a separate adult region and created a warpgate access to it.
Hope that this turns down the concerns of the skin adverse communities.
Guess this will just keep the moderate folkes curious to what kind of evil den the suspicous gate may lead but not giving them a chance to cam in.
Kitely adult rating committee cordially invited to judge the gate-pavillon for being moderate enough. :roll:
Would it be possible for you to have moderate versions of a few of the items from your adult store next to the warpgate? That could give potentially interested parties some idea of the
type of thing the warpgate leads to.

I would like to point out to Ilan that this whole "banlines animating avatars to move towards them" thing is still a problem. In my case the problem had nothing to do with maturity ratings. I ran into the glitch because I was not a member of the in-world group that had access to the banned parcel. I'd be interested in hearing if this has ever happened outside of Kitely. Would it be worth me sharing a version of this story on the OpenSim G+ community to see if anyone out there besides Min and myself has encountered it before?
Deuce Halsey
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Deuce,

Can you please try to recreate the problematic scenario using sim-on-a-stick running OpenSim 0.7.6?
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Ilan Tochner wrote: Can you please try to recreate the problematic scenario using sim-on-a-stick running OpenSim 0.7.6?
Actually I can't do it on SOAS, because I have barely used that product. I certainly don't know how to create a group there, or create an alt to test banlines there.
Why not try to recreate it on Kitely?

I just did that - made a parcel on my Donnybrook Beach world limited to members of an existing group. Then I got in world with my alt that is not part of the group in question.
When the alt tries to enter the restricted parcel - he can! But he does get a message: "You are not allowed on this parcel because the land owner has restricted access." In fact he keeps getting that message over and over again as he walks or flys around the restricted parcel. The messages stop when he exits the parcel.

Apparently banlines don't work in OpenSim the way I'm used to them working in SL.
Deuce Halsey
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That may be true, in any case you can use the world access controls to set access at the world-level until that is fixed.