Weired behavior at setting parzel of region to mature

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Deuce Halsey

Re: Weired behavior at setting parzel of region to mature

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:That may be true, in any case you can use the world access controls to set access at the world-level until that is fixed.
Yep, I do use the world access controls to limit access to my metered worlds. BTW, add my vote to those who would like to see the option to allow access to any Premium member, as well as members of a specific in-world group. It's obviously not a critical issue, but if/when you find the time to add that access option, I think you will make a lot of people happy. :)

As far as the banlines thing goes, I'm not really worried. In point of fact I'd like to avoid having banlines in my worlds to the extent possible. I mainly wanted to remind you that apparently the whole "banlines act as a magnet" thing is is still an existing glitch, albeit a very rarely occurring one. Now that I'm aware that there are other issues with banlines, I'm thinking the magnet glitch may go away at some point when OpenSim updates their banlines code.

As always, thanks for the help and advice, Ilan.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You're welcome Deuce :-)
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Please note that Kitely uses additional maturity rating controls on top of those provided by OpenSim. So, for example, if your avatar is rated General you won't be able to enter a world set to Moderate in our interface even if you change all the regions in that world to General via your viewer.

Please also note that, as it's easy to cam around to parts of a world your avatar doesn't have access to, our TOS requires world manages to keep the entire world appropriate for the maturity rating they've indicated via our website.
Does that mean it is against the TOS to have a bedroom with a sex bed in it, especially if you use it, if it is in a world marked "Mature". Inquiring minds need to know.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serendipity,

You're required by the TOS to prevent people to gain access to content that is not age appropriate in your world. One way of doing that is to use the world maturity ratings to block access. Another is to limit access via our website to just a pre-approved group of friends whom you know are all old enough to access that content. As for your question, you're not allowed to keep a world publicly accessible, rate it as Moderate and have it include a sex bed. :-)
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Serendipity,

You're required by the TOS to prevent people to gain access to content that is not age appropriate in your world. One way of doing that is to use the world maturity ratings to block access. Another is to limit access via our website to just a pre-approved group of friends whom you know are all old enough to access that content. As for your question, you're not allowed to keep a world publicly accessible, rate it as Moderate and have it include a sex bed. :-)
This is far more prudish than the real world then. In the real world if you go peeking into windows you may see all manner of things, even in the most sexually repressive culture or community. You are saying I can't do what I wish in private without rating my world Adult which keeps many a person away that could benefit by what the world offers outside of private enclosed spaces no reasonable person has any business peeking into? You are in effect saying that if some peeping tom could see something outside the world rating that the world owner is violating TOS?

This is too much. On my worlds I will do what I like in private. I am a well mannered person and am not in the habit of flaunting things in people's face. But I will not be constrained in a world, especially one marked Mature, that I have paid for. What you are proposing is actually even stricter than SL Mature rating. If that is not ok with you then I guess you will boot me. I will not be artificially coerced.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serendipity,

What SL does or doesn't do is their own business. In Kitely we don't allow public worlds that don't have the appropriate maturity rating. The maturity ratings are General, Moderate (not Mature) and Adult. Moderate doesn't include sex, Adult does.

It's not like it's very hard or expensive for you to just clone your world and have two copies of it, one with Adult content and one without (just go to your My Worlds page and press the Copy link next to the world you want to clone). You have a Premium Account (Gold), which includes 30 metered regions, and all your worlds (6 regions in total) are Metered Worlds so you won't be charged world storage fees for those copies. So why not just clone them and have a copy that is appropriate to whatever age you want and another set to Adult that you can go wild in?

I really don't understand why you're trying to force our hand to suspend your account for TOS violation. What will you gain from that?
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

sigh.
relax.

There is a big difference between public and private

If you are in the physical world, you do tend to get arrested for peeking into windows at what people are doing in private :)
If no reasonable person has business peeking into, just set the world to selected people only, and you can easily have multiple worlds of different ratings. Can even clone them so you have an adult and moderate version of the same place if you like. You can also EASILY change the rating of your world, and restrict public access if you want to be in private or similar.

If a public access world is occupied, it tends to drift to the top of the public worlds very quickly which would potentially attract other avatars visiting, so a world with public adult activity happening on it should be marked adult, not moderate. (Sorry Serendipity).

Ilan - this issue is going to be a problem, people react personally when you say what they can and can't do. If the bed in question is set to group access only, or it's scripts were disabled, this would reset it's rating(probably) to moderate at most.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dundridge,

Even if just a group of people can use a sex bed for having sex in a public world then other people may walk in on them. Our requirement is for that not to happen. If the bed is benign and can only be made Adult by a certain group of people then it's the world manager's responsibility to make sure that those people never use that bed while the world is public with a maturity rating which isn't Adult. If that is done and all other content in that world can be classified as Moderate then there is no problem for that world to be rated Moderate while the Adult content is not present in that world (e.g. the bed isn't in use).

However, doing this is very risky for the world manager unless he or she is absolutely certain the sex bed won't be used while the world is public and the world's maturity rating isn't set to Adult. This is a part of our TOS that we need to enforce very strictly. As that's the case the simple thing to do is to simply use the maturity ratings to properly indicate the maturity of the content and behavior that can be expected in that world. If someone wants to have a single General/Moderate rated world and sometimes use it for sex then that world manager shouldn't have Adult content accessible while it is General/Moderate and should switch it to Adult maturity rating when they use it for adult activity. It literally takes seconds to do. People who aren't willing to accept these very simple rules aren't agreeing to our TOS and. as sad as I am to say so, shouldn't be using our service. If people want to do adult things they should simply do them in private worlds or Adult rated worlds.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Ilan Tochner wrote: If people want to do adult things they should simply do them in private worlds or Adult rated worlds.
well, or, at home, in reality-))))) [goes looking for that, right now!!!]
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Dundridge DreadlowDeuce Halsey
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote: There is a big difference between public and private

If you are in the physical world, you do tend to get arrested for peeking into windows at what people are doing in private :)
I agree with Dundridge. The virtual and physical worlds have a lot of key differences when it comes to expectations of privacy. People wandering through your neighborhood IRL can't just walk into your house or peak into your windows without (at least technically) violating the law. In a virtual world (and most online games, I might add) the expectation is that visitors are welcome to explore nearly any build that is located at or near ground level. You might be able to set up a scripted object capable of detecting intruders, warning them to leave, and then teleporting they away if they don't depart within a certain space of time. That is if you can get such a contraption to actually work under OpenSim.

I just discovered in the past 24 hrs that banlines do not always work in OpenSim as I expect them to work in SL. This supports Kitely's regulation that adult content should be restricted to adult-rated worlds. That's the only way to be sure that minors are not exposed to adult content. Once you allow an avatar into a particular Kitely world, there is no way to guarantee that the person operating said avatar can be prevented from seeing any of the content rezzed in that world.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782