New object disappears when 'edit' is selected.

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Lawrence Pierce

New object disappears when 'edit' is selected.

Post by Lawrence Pierce »

First, a new texture was uploaded, and than a new cube was created. After manipulating the cube dimensions, applying the texture, replicating the cube twice, and linking everything together, the object seemed complete and stable. However, after clicking it to bring up the pie menu and then choosing 'edit', the object disappeared. A check in the trash revealed no deleted object. The object had incorrectly become non-existent.

For troubleshooting, I tried closing the viewer and reloading it while the world was still running. The world took much longer than usual to fully appear, however the object never reappeared. I then cleared the viewer cache and tried again to no avail. The final check was to let the world fully shut down, then restart it and check, but still no object.

Since the object never appeared in the trash, and given that 'edit' was carefully chosen (not 'delete'), something failed in the viewer or OpenSim, but that distinction was impossible to determine. I did try building a comparable object, but it persisted without incident. I was also able to delete it on purpose and see it appear in the trash, therefore the system once again seems to be working as expected.

I note this incident in case it occurs again, or others have a similar experience. It would be helpful to know if the problem was more likely with OpenSim or Firestorm Viewer (version 4.5.1 for OpenSim).
Ilan Tochner

Re: New object disappears when 'edit' is selected.

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Lawrence,

Please use the viewer region tools to see if the object wasn't moved to another part of the region.
Lawrence Pierce

I ran a full search with no positive results.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Okay, please let us know if this happens again or you find a scenario to reproduce this problem.
Lawrence Pierce

Thanks Ilan. Actually, mystery solved. I found the missing object in my regular inventory. Although I knew I had not accidentally chosen the 'delete' option, I've thought this through in reverse and realize I must have inadvertently clicked 'take', which is on the same overall menu as edit.
These users thanked the author Lawrence Pierce for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Great, one less thing to keep track of :-)