OAR vs RAW Files

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Adagio Greenwood

OAR vs RAW Files

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

What is the real difference btw OAR and RAW files? I know they are handled differently in Kitely but I have one set of files that are both in OAR and RAW format and I don't see that there is any difference in the end result, just a big difference in the handling, using an OAR file as a world is created or using RAW files after creation. I found some files I would love to use but they are only offered in OAR format. Is it possible to use an OAR file to create a single region and then save the terrain as a RAW file? Or can RAW files be extracted from OAR files in some other way? Please excuse my ignorance but this is all rather new to me. Thanks!

Adagio
Ilan Tochner

Re: OAR vs RAW Files

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Adagio,

RAW files store just the terrain for a single region whereas OAR files store the entire world, including all the region settings, parcel settings, terrain, prims, meshes, etc.

In other words, you can use OAR files to fully backup your worlds whereas RAW files will only enable you to restore the terrain they contained.

You can create a new world using an OAR file and then use the viewer to save the RAW file(s) of the region(s) in that world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Oh, excellent, thank you! So, it looks as if I can create and save a RAW file through the Terrain tab in the viewer's Region/Estate Manager tool but I go to the Files tab in the World Manager tool on the Kitely web site to create an OAR file, is that right?

Adagio
These users thanked the author Adagio Greenwood for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Yes, that's exactly right :-)