How to rent out parcels in Kitely?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
archie goodwin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to rent out parcels in Kitely?

Post by archie goodwin »

Trying to make parcels of one of my regions available to rent by others.
In SL usually you "sell" the parcel and then receive regular payments ... if you end the renting period, the parcel is claimed back by the region owner.
This way the tenant has all rights to build and terraform within the rules of the coveant.

How about Kitely - I tried to buy a parcel from Min but the selling doesn't work! :?: :(
Any idea how to rent out a parcel with giving selective rights to the tenant in Kitely?
Constance Peregrine

Re: How to rent out parcels in Kitely?

Post by Constance Peregrine »

hmm...seems like I saw a thread on this.

Possibly it is the steps taken tho.

She parceled it and set it for sale.
For a certain amount?
You right click the ground and buy....it did not work...correct?

Did you buy from inside it?
Try relogging.
Give it a few minutes to "take".
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
archie goodwin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by archie goodwin »

Thank you for the hint Minethere - tried it but it still says:
Buying not possible at this time - error at retrieving the land-buying-information. DNS could not retrieve the host-name.
Min's land-info shows the parcel as set to selling to me. Sigh ! :roll:
Is the land-selling functionality for parcels of private regions operational in Kitely?
Constance Peregrine

ugh, that's probably what I read.

However, she could create a group for parcels or for each parcel, deed it, add you as owner, then remove herself.

Then set up some kind of payment arrangement, there is a rental script here someplace I think I put up that can be set for an amount of time and shows who is renting and then goes red when not clicked on time.

I may have some of this wrong, I am a bit tired.

Ephemeral wanderer...
Constance Peregrine

Code: Select all

key kRenter;
{
  state_entry()
  {
    kRenter=NULL_KEY;
    llSetColor(<0,1,0>,ALL_SIDES);
    llSetText("Touch to rent this spot!",<1,1,1>,1);
  }
  touch_start(integer foo)
  {
    if(kRenter == NULL_KEY)
    {
      kRenter=llDetectedKey(0);
      llSetText("",<1,1,1>,1);
      llWhisper(0,"thx for the renting!");
      llSetColor(<1,0,0>,ALL_SIDES);
    }
    else if(kRenter == llDetectedKey(0))
    {
      kRenter=NULL_KEY;
      llWhisper(0,"Awww I love you bye bye D:");
      llSetColor(<0,1,0>,ALL_SIDES);
      llSetText("Touch to rent this spot!",<1,1,1>,1);
    }
    else
    {
      llSetTimerEvent(5);
      llSetText("Rented by: "+llKey2Name(kRenter),<1,1,1>,1);
    }
  }
  timer()
  {
    llSetTimerEvent(0);
    llSetText("",<1,1,1>,1);
  }
}

Code: Select all

string getFirstName(string name)
{
  return llGetSubString(name, 0, llSubStringIndex(name, " ") - 1);
}

{
  touch_start(integer num_detected)
  {
    llSetText(getFirstName(llDetectedName(0)), <1,1,1>, 1);  // 
  }
}

These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Min Tigerpaw

Ephemeral wanderer...
onyxty delta

Post by onyxty delta »

Renting parcels in Kitely is an interesting concept to me as even a regular account is provided with plenty of land. Though I'm sure the idea is more around the social aspects. Do you only rent to premium account holders? If you rented to regular account holders do you charge more since you have to pay for their time in the region?
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

There was a previous discussion about renting, mainly revolving around the availability of rental boxes in OpenSim. Here is the thread:
http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 8540#p8540

I would imagine that most of the people who plan to rent out homes/apartments/land/etc. have a fixed-price Kitely world and therefore won't be billed extra no matter how much time their tenants spend in-world. That is definitely my situation. I have a 4 region grandfathered world with 100k prims available the 100 avatar concurrency limit. I don't need all that space and resources for my own usage so I plan to rent out a few lots along the edges of my world. I've also created a small marina where I will offer slips for rent for people who would prefer to use a stationary boat/houseboat as their home base in Kitely.

Okay, I'll agree that most people who are currently active in Kitely have been attracted to this grid because they want scads of land to develop on their own. But as the grid develops, and particularly after full HG support gets enabled, there will eventually be some people who would like to use Kitely as their home base in the OpenSim metaverse, but don't want to bother developing their own fully set up region. A few of these folks will probably just rez an LK freebie home somewhere on their free region and be done with it.

But other new Kitely residents may actually want to live on a Kitely world that has a certain amount of "infrastructure", but don't want to have to create that infrastructure themselves. Others might be looking for a world where they could actually run into other residents from time to time. It's hard to do that if you're sitting in your freebie home on your freebie region. Plus if your only home is on a freebie region you need to pay for your own visit times, and for time spent in your world by any of your visitors.

Obviously there will never be a call for land barons as the concept exists in SL, but I'm betting their will be a modest demand for homes, apartments or small lots for rent on fixed-price worlds where the owner has some extra space and resources. The tenant gets a Kitely home base on a fixed-price world (giving them unlimited access for themselves and their visitors at no additional cost) with some infrastructure and/or with some traffic and visitors that they don't have to generate themselves. The landlord gets a bit of help covering their monthly rental costs for their Kitely world, and possibly even additional traffic generated by their tenants and others visiting their tenants. It's a win-win situation, really.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixMin TigerpawDanko Whitfield
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Constance Peregrine

frankly, not having land barons would be a very, very good thing...it's a bad business model for anyone but LL.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Deuce Halsey

Ephemeral wanderer...
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Agree with you guys about the land barons :-)

however I've been asked if I can share land with friends (like Archie) - and in my attempt to find a good way to rent out land to friends who just don't want to be all alone in their world but more in a community. Costwise it would not be an advantage over the basic account of cause.
I'm thinking about the best way to do so:
If I want to allow those friends to use a parcel of my time based regions they should have rights to do terraforming & subdividing of their parcel and have control on objects, media and access. The objects & media I can do by group-rights but for terraforming I must allow terraforming to everyone who can enter the region and subdividing and controll of access is not possible for them at all as I see it.
For me the preferred way out would be to operate renting of private land like it is in SL where you sell the parcel (and reclaim it if the deal ends) to the tenant for a symbolic amount and agree on a regular payment.
Alternatively maybe Kitely could also install renting without "selling" the parcel.
Constance Peregrine

understood...just a fyi that you may not wish to do, you can add anyone as an EM and those can terraform.

could add them and then remove them if desired...

they may have to activate admin for it to work [ctrl alt v]

EMs in Kitely are not as big a trust thing as in other closed grids who do not allow saving and uploading of oars [likewise, neither are griefers] since it is a simple matter to just re-upload the oar [or terrain if saved as it should be anyways regularly].

I also recently learned, at least in Kitely, that EMs stick with oar changes, which is kinda interesting, as both Sarge and DD are still on my region as them thru several oar uploads.

[do I care if they grief me???? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh]
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Min TigerpawDundridge Dreadlow

Ephemeral wanderer...