16 Region Troubles

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Serenity Sinclaire

16 Region Troubles

Post by Serenity Sinclaire »

Not sure what happened :P

I created a new world, selected the 16 regions option, flat land...it set up fine but when I go to it, it's essentially a 2x2...there are 4 connected 256x256 regions.

Did I miss something? Where are the rest? Thanks

ETA

So, next question. If I wanted 16 individual regions I could upload ready made OARs to each one, how do I set that up and what's the monthly rate? Technically, I want 12 land regions and 4 water. That's what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't want a 2x2 split into 16 squares. :)
Ilan Tochner

Re: 16 Region Troubles

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serenity,

You created a 16-region world and it is indeed a 16-region world. However, as you turned off Advanced Megaregion mode you will only see the regions adjacent to yours. If you fly over to the border with the next regions you'll see that they start to rezz. I recommend you turn Advanced Megaregion mode back on in the Advanced tab of the Manage World dialog, which you can open by pressing the Manage link in your My Worlds page. Once you turn Advanced Megaregion mode back on you should be able to see the entire world at the same time.

You can only upload an OAR file when creating a world or when replacing the entire world. You can't upload an OAR file to a specific region in the world. Please note that each OAR file can store multiple regions. If you create such a joined OAR file you'll be able to use it to restore your entire world at once. See: http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6
Serenity Sinclaire

Ah, that did the trick, thanks Ilan!

Still, I know you have these configurable for 2x2 and up, but I'd still like to know what the damage would be for 12 individual single regions that I can upload OARs to each one, with another 2x2 that'd just be water area.

Thanks again!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serenity,

Our system doesn't enable you to split worlds up in that fashion. They are either one big Advanced Megaregion or separate regions all running in the same simulator. In either case you can only upload a single OAR file when creating a new world and when replacing an existing world. If you want to uplaod OAR files for multiple regions then merge those OAR files into a single OAR file then upload that single multi-region (or megaregion) OAR file to Kitely.
Serenity Sinclaire

Thanks for the info. I figured out the best way to get close.

One thing - not sure where this goes because I'm not sure if it's you, me, the viewer or what but I set up the 16 region option and was terraforming. I'd made a landmark on the spot it automatically logs me in at, that corner of the grid and when I tried to teleport back to it, I kept getting "teleport failed" alerts and/or the whole thing would lock up and that corner wasn't accessible. It was blocked the same way that the edges of the world won't let you go beyond it.

So that one corner was inaccessible. I went ahead and deleted the 16 world even though I just paid for it :( decided to try again. Is it going to charge me again?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serenity,

It's unfortunate you did that.

Deleting a world prevents us from helping you resolve problems you encountered in that world. I would advise against doing that if you want us to help you figure out why something didn't work for you. In addition, it is very rare that a problem is with a specific world and not with something you'll likely to encounter if you do the same thing in another world. Deleting the world and creating a new one to do the same things in will likely result in you encountering the same problem again.

Each world is charged for separately. Unless you're creating a Metered World and have enough free regions left in your account, if you create a new 16-region world you get charged for it whether or not you just deleted another 16-region world.