Can't use scripts on land I don't own but am member of group

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Sherrie Melody

Can't use scripts on land I don't own but am member of group

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Paislee has a world, Imladris, where she has set the land to the Imladris group. Group members are set to be able to build, rez, and do scripting.

I always have my Imladris group active on my avatar. When I rez any of my scripted objects in Imladris, the scripts do nothing. In case it had to do with something wrong with my scripts, I tried just rezzing a new cube, and adding the following default script to it:

Code: Select all

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSay(0, "Script running");
    }
}
The script does nothing, but it should say "Script running."

Paislee mentioned that others in the group had similar problems. Paislee even tried adding me as an estate manager hoping to solve the problem. That didn't change anything.

ETA: Paislee sectioned off a parcel and set the About Land Options so that everyone could build, rez, and script, group members and non-group avatars as well. Scripting worked then. However, this is a bad solution, as griefers could go on a rez/crash-the-sim spree that would be very unpleasant. She's going to remove that as soon as she get's a moment.
Last edited by Sherrie Melody on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sherrie Melody for the post:
Dot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Re: Can't use scripts on land I don't own but am member of g

Post by Dot Matrix »

I've seen this sort of thing, in OSgrid as well as here.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Thanks for this bug report. I found the bug: it's because OpenSim expects the land to be Deeded to the group. But of course that shouldn't be necessary: it should be enough to have the group set on the land, without deeding. This will be fixed in our next update (this week).

May I ask, why would you restrict who can run scripts? This means that even scripts in visitors' attachments won't work, including AO's. Personally, I like my avatar's swagger when he walks... Isn't it enough to restrict who may build in the parcel?
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:Thanks for this bug report. I found the bug: it's because OpenSim expects the land to be Deeded to the group. But of course that shouldn't be necessary: it should be enough to have the group set on the land, without deeding. This will be fixed in our next update (this week).

May I ask, why would you restrict who can run scripts? This means that even scripts in visitors' attachments won't work, including AO's. Personally, I like my avatar's swagger when he walks... Isn't it enough to restrict who may build in the parcel?
That's great news about the bug finding and fixing. Thank you, Oren! :D

I've avoided giving scripting rights just in case of griefers. So it is safe to allow scripts but not build rights?

A lot of viewers have built-in AOs these days, including Firestorm OS. I prefer using those to attachment AOs since they work wherever you are.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

If you prevent rezzing then you eliminate most of the possibilities for griefing. Scripting without griefing can't do much: perhaps slow down the world by doing a lot of computation? But blocking scripting has serious side-effects; with AO's, as I mentioned, and other effects and niceties. I wouldn't do it unless actual experience has shown it to be necessary. (And you can always block individual users, as well as report them to Kitely.)
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Carlos Loff
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I always remove build rights but leave scripts and object entry on for all. While there is certainly some slight ways nefarious and evil types can grief doing that, the issue is a small one, imo, and in places such as Kitely where backups are easily done for regions, I, personally never worry about such things.

If some evil entity happens to happen by my region and does some griefing, I will just upload the last copy I made.

There is a Jack Mariolone [and various but similar avie names] who will likely pop into Kitely once HG is enabled, who has as his mission in life to do some slight griefing around the Meta. He uses various IPs and finds new grids to make accounts in, and HGs around to do his thang.

But all he does is do things when build rights are enabled for all and if things are set to move by anyone he often moves them ['cause he can, that's why].

He roams the closed grids often also, so his special attentions are not limited to HG grids. I recall once when he roamed inwz in the regions where i was an EM and since a lot of stuff was set to move by anyone he had a grand old time, and due to the lack of controls afforded to land barons and ppl who rent regions there it was quite a bit of hassle to get everything fixed back. However, it gave us all something to do that day or so, so it all balanced out well, in the end.

I kinda think the way Kitely is run on demand has been enough for him to not bother here as he can't simply open the map or move over into an adjoining region to have his fun.

As to AOs, I always use the viewer side since so many do untick scripts and I like to have my avie move around as I wish-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...