Sculptie physics in imported OARs

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Dot Macchi

Sculptie physics in imported OARs

Post by Dot Macchi »

Some of the Devokan builds are quite old, predating mesh. Many use items from a kit of sculpts with the physics set to the shape of the prim.

These seem to work OK in OSgrid, but when the same OAR is imported into Kitely, the physics shape changes to what I guess is a sphere. This makes it impossible to use walkways or enter buildings.

Now, I am not a builder, more a custodian of environments developed by others who have moved on. I would like to keep these areas working as they should

So I'd welcome advice on how to deal with this. Thanks.
Graham Mills

Re: Sculptie physics in imported OARs

Post by Graham Mills »

I'm a novice in such matters but you could make the sculptie phantom and mark the key boundaries with an invisiprim. Potentially a lot of work...
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Yes, it would definitely be a lot of work -- potentially 10+ regions-worth.

For one thing, it's not always easy to work out which prim is causing a problem. For example, I suspect that some of the larger "physics spheres" overlap smaller ones, meaning that even if you make the smaller sculpties phantom, you still can't access the area.

Now, having said all that, something strange has happened... I can now access all the buildings and rock structures of Yugen (part of Skysong in Kitely, and of Devokan Tao in OSgrid, hence the comparison), whereas before my avie got deflected quite a distance away from the base of the towers, for instance.

I'll investigate the other regions.
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

I had a thought overnight: whether there is a difference between standard single-region OARs and multi-region OARs saved with the --all option.

To demonstrate what I mean, I've made a 2x2 test megaregion temporarily public:
Devokan Regions TEST

Compare this with the layered single region of Skysong (free to visit), made with the same interim OAR for Yugen: Skysong

The buildings and walkways of Yugen, at 3000m in the SW region, show the biggest contrast. See if you can enter the towers. Also, pan out to see where your avie is standing when on one of the circular walkway elements.

To get to Yugen quickly in both cases, type "gth 3010" in the chatbar.

====================================
Edit: Another example can be seen with the library building in Eoliah (look for Roby the bibliophile robot). I've put the original single region build *temporarily* on Nocturne -- it is possible to walk under the wooden archway.

By contrast, in the SW region of the 2x2 megaregion Eoliah Village (which Kat is kindly hosting for the Devokan project), it is not possible to enter the library building.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the additional information Dot, we'll investigate this.
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Thanks, Ilan and Oren!
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

I guess this thread should probably go in the support subforum, since it is now more to do with troubleshooting than building.

Over the next few days I'll continue to experiment with single- versus multi-region OARs on Nocturne, so please don't be surprised if you visit and it doesn't match the world description.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Hi Dot,

I moved this thread to the Support section.

I believe that I have fixed this bug. I can now enter the library in Eoliah Village without problems. Could you please verify that you no longer experience this problem?

Thanks!
Oren
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Wonderful! I can enter the library building in Eoliah Village, and the problems I was experiencing in Yugen in the 2x2 Devokan Regions TEST are gone.

I've also tested Tao region in Evergreen where similar problems were happening (the mushroom rock formations in the SW corner), and that is now working as expected. And -- the ultimate test -- I can explore the whole of Kamar sky garden in Evergreen, which is built totally on sculptie rocks.

Thank you very much, Oren! :D
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

Thanks for this fix, Oren. As Dot mentioned, it has had a big impact in Evergreen...such an impact that you got a mention in my story posted in the RP section of the forums.

/me bows