More than 16 regions can be joined ?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Carlos Loff

More than 16 regions can be joined ?

Post by Carlos Loff »

Hi, I started building a virtual Lisbon, using 16 regions but my plans are bigger, is it possible to join 32 regions on a big square ???
Kitely - Meta Lisbon --> grid.kitely.com:8002:Meta Lisbon Startups
Join Me on Meetup --> https://www.meetup.com/metalisbonstartups/
Join Kitely Group --> Meta Lisbon Startups
Dot Matrix

Re: More than 16 regions can be joined ?

Post by Dot Matrix »

16 regions in a 4x4 square is the largest configuration possible. So a 32-region build would need to be in two separate 16-region squares.

You might also find it advantageous to work in blocks of 2x2 regions, which seems to be a sweet spot in world size.

How to link the separate builds? Might you try something along the lines that Deuce suggested that he is doing for Donnybrook Beach in another thread, Village Community: concept discussion?
Deuce wrote:My long term plans for Donnybrook Beach include something like this. The idea is that Donnybrook Beach is actually part of a chain of barrier islands just off the Maryland coast. Each of these islands has its own oceanfront resort - the resort sizes vary with the sizes of the island in question. (This mirrors reality. A large percentage of the Atlantic oceanfront resorts from New Jersey all the way down to at least the Carolinas are in fact located on barrier islands.) These barrier islands are typically connected to each other by a series of bridges and causeways.

Eventually I may develop some of the other islands. ...

Right now all that exists are the bridges - although not really. The concept I've come up with is that certain waterways adjacent to Donnybrook Beach are very susceptible to heavy fog. The affected areas just happen to coincide with the locations of the bridges to the neighboring islands. So the "bridges" in world consist of small stretches of highway pavement that just run off the end of the world. I parked a truck on the outbound lane of each bridge - the truck is used to hide the fog generators that create the illusion of a fog bank headed out over the water. Of course the fog also covers the truck land the land immediately surrounding the bridge ramp. A "Fog Area" highway sign just before the fog bank begins completes the illusion.

Is it really foggy there 24/7? Of course not, that would be ridiculous! It just happens to be foggy whenever you happen to visit Donnybrook Beach. ;)

Of course any neighboring island worlds, when developed, would also have the fog bank bridge setup at their end of things. Once there actually are multiple island worlds, I might even try to put a teleport in the truck or Fog Area sign that would take the visitor to the neighboring island world. Such a neighboring world would of course have a similar fog bridge teleport back to Donnybrook Beach.

This fog bridge concept is not the only or best way to hide/represent bridges to neighboring island worlds, but I just threw it out here in the hope that it might stir up some ideas on how to link "adjacent" worlds without using the standard Teleport sign setup.
Obviously the metaphor for a virtual Lisbon would need to be different from foggy bridges and island chains, but the above might spark some ideas.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Selby Evans
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Dot Matrix wrote:16 regions in a 4x4 square is the largest configuration possible. So a 32-region build would need to be in two separate 16-region squares.

You might also find it advantageous to work in blocks of 2x2 regions, which seems to be a sweet spot in world size.

How to link the separate builds? Might you try something along the lines that Deuce suggested that he is doing for Donnybrook Beach in another thread, Village Community: concept discussion?
Deuce wrote:My long term plans for Donnybrook Beach include something like this. The idea is that Donnybrook Beach is actually part of a chain of barrier islands just off the Maryland coast. Each of these islands has its own oceanfront resort - the resort sizes vary with the sizes of the island in question. (This mirrors reality. A large percentage of the Atlantic oceanfront resorts from New Jersey all the way down to at least the Carolinas are in fact located on barrier islands.) These barrier islands are typically connected to each other by a series of bridges and causeways.

Eventually I may develop some of the other islands. ...

Right now all that exists are the bridges - although not really. The concept I've come up with is that certain waterways adjacent to Donnybrook Beach are very susceptible to heavy fog. The affected areas just happen to coincide with the locations of the bridges to the neighboring islands. So the "bridges" in world consist of small stretches of highway pavement that just run off the end of the world. I parked a truck on the outbound lane of each bridge - the truck is used to hide the fog generators that create the illusion of a fog bank headed out over the water. Of course the fog also covers the truck land the land immediately surrounding the bridge ramp. A "Fog Area" highway sign just before the fog bank begins completes the illusion.

Is it really foggy there 24/7? Of course not, that would be ridiculous! It just happens to be foggy whenever you happen to visit Donnybrook Beach. ;)

Of course any neighboring island worlds, when developed, would also have the fog bank bridge setup at their end of things. Once there actually are multiple island worlds, I might even try to put a teleport in the truck or Fog Area sign that would take the visitor to the neighboring island world. Such a neighboring world would of course have a similar fog bridge teleport back to Donnybrook Beach.

This fog bridge concept is not the only or best way to hide/represent bridges to neighboring island worlds, but I just threw it out here in the hope that it might stir up some ideas on how to link "adjacent" worlds without using the standard Teleport sign setup.
Obviously the metaphor for a virtual Lisbon would need to be different from foggy bridges and island chains, but the above might spark some ideas.

So let me see, you will have 2 worlds, each with 16 islands and there will be an ocean region between or you have worlds faraway from each other and the fog brings a teleporting portal ???
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

The second.
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Dot Matrix wrote:The second.
By now I decided to make main landmarks and monuments a little smaller and keep the 16 regions world - I was planning to have realistic scaled spots but guess a bit of shrinking will improve diversity - More quality and less quantity - But for more than 1 sim, teleporting networks are always important, although there will be cycling and trams routes along all the city
These users thanked the author Carlos Loff for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Can we visit yet?

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Amiryu Hosoi wrote:Can we visit yet?

Ami
Yes, just search for Virtual Lisbon, foundations are there but it will develop slowly, cheers
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

The scripts are widely available of course, but I have reliable easy-working 'gate' we use at Seanchai that TPs a person just by walking through.
If you're interested in a copy let me know...
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Shandon Loring wrote:The scripts are widely available of course, but I have reliable easy-working 'gate' we use at Seanchai that TPs a person just by walking through.
If you're interested in a copy let me know...
That is very interesting, are they on Kitely Market ??? As I intend to bring many newbies from outside the walking Through helps making it easy
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

in my Market store, Seanchai Bookstore... unless theyre not... hmmm... either way ping me and i'll send you a copy if you like. works inworld or hypergrid...
you can check them out at Seanchai Library...
grid.kitely.com:8002:Seanchai