Kitely in education

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Americo Damasceno
Been thanked: 0

Kitely in education

Post by Americo Damasceno »

I would like to use one region for education. I have 20 students. First "problem": can I create 20 acc using only my email? Second "problem": after my students have created objects (houses, by example), how can I delete the objects to clear my region for a new semester?
Thanks for any help.
Graham Mills

Re: Kitely in education

Post by Graham Mills »

Firstly, welcome to Kitely! :)

I'll leave Ilan to answer the first question. I believe that registering classes is on the Kitely "todo" list but that you can register on behalf of students to ensure that they are allocated the correct maturity rating.

As far as deleting objects is concerned, you can either return them to students inworld as you would in SL (something like World|About Land|Objects in the viewer) or upload an archived copy of the world (as an OAR file) you made before the students got to work. This is on the Manage|Files tab on the website (login and look under My Worlds).
Americo Damasceno wrote:I would like to use one region for education. I have 20 students. First "problem": can I create 20 acc using only my email? Second "problem": after my students have created objects (houses, by example), how can I delete the objects to clear my region for a new semester?
Thanks for any help.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Americo Damasceno
Americo Damasceno
Been thanked: 0

Post by Americo Damasceno »

I believe that "return the object" is the best solution to the "problem" of delection of objects by the owner of the region. Thanks.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Americo,

We've yet to roll out group accounts so you'll need to create a separate account for each of your users, each with his or her own email address. You can also ask your school's system admin to set up these email addresses as aliases to your own school email address. Once you've created the accounts, go to each account's Settings page and change the maturity rating to General. You will then be prompted for a date of birth for the student. Once that date is entered, neither you nor the students will be able to change it. Supply the current date in order to make the student too young to later change their account maturity rating to Moderate or Adult.

If you prefer, you can use Kitely's support for separate grid login information and website login information to provide your students with a way to go inworld without being able to access their website accounts. You can set these passwords separately in the Account Settings page then give the students just the grid login information. You can find the account settings page here: http://www.kitely.com/settings

As for backing up the world, you can use the built in World Copy function to create a live backup copy of the world or you can use the World Export function to save a downloadable OAR file (OpenSim Archive).

I recommend you view the presentation I gave to the International Society for Technology in Education. It covers best practices for using Kitely for education (things that are different from Second Life). Please note some things have changed since the video was recorded but the underlying concepts and benefits remain.

These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Americo Damasceno