World or Viewer?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ilan Tochner

Re: World or Viewer?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

It sounds like something is periodically preventing your computer from making multiple connections to our domain at the same time. While there could be some conceivable problem with grid access which we haven't ruled out yet, there has been absolutely no uptime problem or network problem with the server running our forums so there really is no reason for the forum to not load for you consistently. As an FYI, the forum doesn't even use the same servers as the rest of our service so can't be affected by any load on our grid.
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

It is definitely not consistent. The workaround through the Kitely Welcome Center seems to be working for now. And the overall login issue seems to be less today than yesterday. Hopefully this is the upturn in the situation. I'll post again if there is a major change one way or the other. In the meantime I'll check this or that and maybe something will pop up as the cause.
A Curative Poison (a metaverse story)

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Okay, please keep us updated.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Let's focus on the forums. The fact that they don't work well is important, because it should be much easier to diagnose than viewer problems. Maybe it's because logins to third-party systems are slow (Facebook/Google+/Twitter). Maybe you have browser addons that prevent connections to these services?

Please try accessing the forums in different browsers (Chrome/Firefox) and see if one works better than the other. Clearing browser cache and cookies might also help, but using different browsers is a more powerful test.

If that doesn't help, please use Chrome and open the developer console (by pressing the F12 key). Then switch to the "Network" tab; and reload the forums. When you encounter problems, does the "Network" tab show which calls have timed-out?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Dot Matrix
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Sorry, Ilan, I didn't realize you had posted again.

I tried IExplorer and a fresh install of Safari. Both took a while to load, and I had to stop the page (website or forum) and reload and then do it again or sometimes it would just take a while. I updated Java as well.

I did what you suggested for Chrome, and I took screenshots as the pages loaded or failed to load so you could see the messages that popped up and the 'calls' that timed out when the pages failed to load. I had one extension in Chrome, Google Docs, and disabled that before I started the test.

I have about 10 images to show you the steps I took while the website and the forums loaded slowly or failed to load. The website and forum then began loading normally so I'll post what I have while they're working for me. I hesitate to try to post images here, given my issues. How about if I send them with a chronology as a zip file in an email?

I can 'try' to upload an attachment for the sake of testing, but maybe at a little later time.

If there is a way to do the same kind of test in Internet Explorer and Safari I'll be happy to. I'd love to get it figured out.

BTW, login in off-site was fine for website and viewer. Not sure what that says since sometimes it's fine from my compy, too.

I also noticed that Singularity seems to bork (have loading, login, teleport, or windlight issues) slightly less often than Firestorm. So I'm going to use that as much as possible so I can get in with fewer tries or issues.

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please email me the screenshots as per your suggestion: http://www.kitely.com/contact
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Well this is odd.

Now the forums and website are loading just fine. But now I can't get into the world at all - login fails or hangs or times out. Both Singularity and Firestorm (after clearing cache)

I can get to my own world via OSgird, but even with the world open now I can't log in. Can't get to the Kitely Welcome Center, either.

I wonder if it might be something with my account. I was able to log in with the test avie who logged in successfully off location yesterday. Using Singularity. So she's in my world with my OSgrid self.

Logged out of the OSgrid account in Firestorm and tried again with my own. Login Failed.

I now have a complex. :(

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please indicate the exact times (with timezone) and locations you tried to login to so we can review the relevant server logs.
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Attempt to login while typing in location

ghaelen dlareh to Kitely Welcome Center (Signularity): ~9:50-10:00am CDT - login failed
same avie, same location (Firestorm) within minutes - login failed, and message: Start Location ...specified an invalid grid
multiple tries

ghaelen dlarehOSgrid to Kitely Welcome Center (Firestorm) ~10:00am CDT - success (objects loading very slowly)

ghaelen dlarehOSgrid from Kitely Welcome Center to Giloveelay Soren ~ 10:05am CDT - success (world loaded normally)

creatrix delandria to Giloveelay Soren from cold login (Singularity) - success - both avies in Giloveelay Soren

creatrix delandria tp to Kitely Welcome Center ~10:10amCDT- could not tp due to connection failure with destination

quit out of both viewers

FYI: In OS grid I login to a sim that uses the latest Opensim version. I walked over to the sim next door that hadn't upgraded yet and had a VERY hard time getting into it or moving around in it. Don't know if that makes a difference - just want to note all the information I can.

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Ilan, I sent you an email with images that show the results of a ping and traceroute test. I think that's the test you had suggested yesterday. If not, let me know.

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project