World or Viewer?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ghaelen DLareh

World or Viewer?

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

I am having an odd problem today. The sims I own, for both avatars, have loaded slowly (the good news) and have subsequently seen the disappearance of all objects (not so good). My objects tab says I have objects rezzed, but my viewers (both Firestorm and Singularity) do not show any rezzed items.

I would think it was the viewer except that when I went to the Kitely Community Meeting, everything there rezzed for me just fine. So it is something with my sims, both avatars, both viewers. Esoteric Illumination was mentioned at the meeting, and although I love that topic... it was mentioned AFTER I began to have the problem. I'm as much for being psychic as anyone, but in this case I don't feel very entranced.

I've cleared cache, lowered graphics, raised graphics, tp'd here and there, checked my internet speed, logged out, logged on, looked hither and thither etc. But, if it were any of those I would think that other regions than mine would also (dis)appear. AND it would not affect both viewers? AND it would not affect all avatars?

I've not had this problem on Kitely until today.

Ideas?

Edit: oh yes, I forgot to mention Firestorm keeps crashing.
Edit, edit: I also forgot to mention that my parcels on other grids (shhhhh; SL and Inworldz, for purposes of testing only, of course) load just fine. So the issue is only with Kitely. And I am a cloud or my clothes are grey for quite a while.
Edit, Edit, Edit: I found another world that also showed no rezzed items. Then I went to a sandbox that rezzed right away. My clothes also showed up right away in the sandbox.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with the fact that mine and the first other world are metered and the Welcome Center and Sandbox are not? At least I got the message (not started yet.....etc) on mine and the other that didn't load. Two other metered sims did not load and one non-metered world did.

Strangely enough, after all this travel, I returned home to a rezzed sim. Not all prims were rezzed, but most. I think I'll have a glass of wine and call it a day - try again tomorrow.
A Curative Poison (a metaverse story)

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ilan Tochner

Re: World or Viewer?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ghaelen,

I see you're there now so I'll go inworld and see if I can help you.
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Thank you for your help, Ilan. Not sure why the crowded server like me better, but maybe my worlds like company. ;) Anyway, all is working as I'm used to seeing it work. Many thanks!

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Um.... I arrived this morning to a nearly empty sim again.... I tp'd to another sim and the texture speed began to increase. It stayed around 110, but nothing appeared. Now, even the rest of the terrain won't rez. I am stumped.

Edit: Went to SL and all was fine but my clothing loaded slowly. Came back in to Kitely just now (90 minutes later) and the sim loaded quickly. I didn't do anything differently. Still stumped, and hopeful the mystery has ended.

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Are you running anything else on your computer that may be using your network connection? Some file sharing program or something else that opens many TCP connections?
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Hi Ilan,

There was one program that provided a virtual connection to my work files and would use the port that Firestorm used; that I had resolved before the slow loading because Firestorm wouldn't load any grid. And, I still firmly believe that if it was still my computer/connection/error/whatever that it would not affect Kitley alone (on both viewers). It would affect the viewer on all grids.

Having said that, I've been able to go in without a problem for two days now. So I'm hopeful all is well.

I do appreciate your promptness in looking into this. I'm still stumped.

(On the other hand, my hot water heater pilot light kept going out over the last few days and now it is staying lit. Stumped about that, too.) ;)
These users thanked the author Ghaelen DLareh for the post:
Constance Peregrine

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Well, both my water heater and my Kitely log-ins went out completely. The water heater we had to replace, and I'm really hoping I don't have to replace Kitely. That would affect both my silver and gold grandfathered accounts and I would be very sad to have to give those up.

I haven't found a 'solution' but I have found a 'workaround'. I'm posting all of the below so that if you are in the same position this might help you too (cuz I cannot believe it is only me). It doesn't solve the issues, (which I don't believe are ALL on my end) but I'm at least able to get in.

I spent several (frustrating) days trying to figure out why I could't log in.
-Login hangs (screen does nothing while progress bar is at 'logging in')
-Quit either viewer and try again - login failed
-quit and try again - "you are already entering your sim, please wait until the process completes"
or
-quit and try again "failed to communicate with the server" on login or when teleporting to a particular world. I would get to the Transfer Station, get that message, then Kitely would log me out.

This cycle would often repeat several times until a magic time when it let me in.

After being told it was ALL on my end and affecting only me, I was ready to give up.

Then, with some very kind and persistent tests with my good friend Dot, I was able to figure out a few things:

-I can log in to other OSgrids. I can travel from those OSgrids to Kitely without a hitch.
-If type in a world (such as Devokan), when it is already started I am able to get in without a problem.
-Once in through Kitely I can go to other osgrids via the hypergrid
-I can, in fact, make friends with myself ;) I'm also very empathetic when I vent my frustrations.
-Once I get in to Kitely I can teleport to the Kitely Welcome Center without any hang up - and... it is amazingly fast.
-The main issue with logging in seems to be the connection through the Vertex Transfer Station. I saw another thread on that and tried changing the one attachment I had on (my hair) but got the same results. I tried another avie with the same results.
-The behavior in the Transfer Station seemed to act like time-outs, so I started to compare teleporting experiences: going to worlds that were already started vs going to worlds that were not. If the world was started I teleported there very quickly (within 10 seconds). If not, the teleport often didn't go through.
-Near the end of the day it occurred to me that if the issue was in waiting for a world to start up, I may be able to always log if I went to a world that was already started. But I couldn't start my own worlds from the website (whole 'nother issue...). So I asked both viewers to go directly to the Kitely Welcome Center. Both viewers logged me in without a hitch. Amazingly fast login and entry.
---From the Kitely Welcome Center I was able to travel to my worlds, although it took two tries each time (both avies, two worlds). I would get the message "failed to communicate with the server" on the first try then if I waited (at least 30 seconds) and clicked the LM again the teleport went through.
---This morning, after a fresh boot-up of my computer, I typed in the Kitely Welcome Center and again logged in very quickly. I say that because yesterday after a fresh boot up I could not log in the regular way to save my life. So I conclude that nothing in my computer or connection is preventing me from logging in at all, but something prevents me from loggin in through one world (the Transfer Station) to another non-started world. Maybe I'm just too fast...

The 'nother issue: About a week ago the website started loading slowly and the forums often not at all. In fact, I had to stop this page from loading and reload it twice before the 'reply to' screen loaded. So I have to type all of this at once and hope it actually posts. Hence the very looong post.

I have no trouble with other websites or forums. And - my entire set of issues with Kitely has acted like a cascade effect - getting worse over time. But, I am at this moment sitting at my desk in my world and I'm once again hopeful the workaround continues to be successful.

Now we'll see if this post will post...

Wish me luck!
Carlos Loff

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

My very long post seems to also have nudged the forums into loading normally (for me) so I will add that my travails have also been a very good commercial for opening a Fixed-Price World. It's not a whole lot of money and if it will keep my avies from shouting in frustration it would be worth it.
Constance Peregrine

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ghaelen,

As an experiment, can you please create a Kitely alt and use it to login to your world directly (when it's offline so you get rerouted through the Kitely Transfer Station)? We want to rule out something in your Kitely avatar's inventory being the source of the problem.
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Ok - here you go - experimenting is not so easy when the forums and website stop loading. Took a while to change settings and all.

Unfortunately, the avie had the same result while trying to log in to my world. She did get to the Transfer Station, then got the message that a connection could not be established. I left her sit there to see if the station would log her out, which it did in about one minute. She has a newbie outfit on and one item in her inventory that she had picked up at the ISIS sandbox.

But - something new to report.

She had to change her password via the website because the viewer couldn't authenticate her account, and was eventually able to do. She had clicked on the Kitely Merchant's Sandbox to Enter the World, and that's the first place she went when logging in. I didn't mean to send her there, but that's the world that loaded automatically, even though I put in the name of my world. She went in without a problem, and very quickly

Then, after she was going into my world, and as I was struggling to get the forum to load, Kitely logged her out of the Transfer Station. The forum suddenly started loading rather quickly. It was a noticeable change, and the reason I was able to load the forum and make this report to you.

Interesting Point #2
I went to the Kitely Welcome Station again, and while it was loading I clicked around the website. The website froze and so did the login. A new message popped up:
"We're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the Kitely Grid. ...try again in a few minutes....check your connection... click Help.... click Teleport to attempt to teleport Home."

As soon as that message came up, both Internet Explorer and Chrome started loading rapidly.

I attempted to login again to the Welcome Center without quitting out of Singularity and without clicking anything on any browser. The log-in screen froze at "Logging in"
Quit out of Singularity, attempted to log in to the Welcome Center, login failed.
Quit out of Singularity, ditto ditto, login hung.
Quit out of Singularity, logged in with my Ghaelen Avie - went in at lightning speed.

New issues, but at least "I" can get in. (ghaelen)

Edit: While ghaelen was at the Welcome Center, enjoying the fresh air, the newbie avie tried to go to ghaelen's world in Firestorm. Login failed, so she quit the viewer and tried again. This time she went directly to the Kitely Welcome Center. Must have been still in the world-loading que for her?

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project