OAR making weirdness

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Iain McCracken

OAR making weirdness

Post by Iain McCracken »

I have a problem with a world I'm managing. We have a number of contractors etc building stuff for us, with the expectation of transferring ownership of their builds. We thought that taking OAR files would be a reasonable form of backup.

However, the report shows hundreds of objects that were not included because of "insufficient" perms. The builders insist that every single prim and texture has full next owner perms.

So, I went in as the world manager, took copies of some of the problem objects (I have edit rights on their stuff). The copies arrived in my inventory full perm. I rezzed them in world, and they rezzed full perms. I took them back and they were still full perms. I rezzed them out and took an OAR of the region. They appeared in the OAR file no problems.

What gives? What other perm is required for an object to make it into an OAR file? And how is it that taking a copy of a problem object fixed the problem (mysteriously granted the extra perm)?

It's going to take me a lot of time to fix hundreds of problem objects. To fix means (1) take a copy (2) note the exact position and rotation (3) delete it (4) rez my own copy, an (5) set the exact position and rotation to what the problem object had. That's a crapload of work for objects that should already be in the OAR file but are being rejected for unknown reasons.

I'd appreciate any help, as I'm frustrated, and the builders are offended that they're being accused by the system of not properly granting perms that they already have granted.
Ilan Tochner

Re: OAR making weirdness

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Iain,

You don't have to have full perms for an object in your world in order to have it included in an OAR file of that world. You do however have to have Copy+Transfer for that object and the object must not be market No-Export if it was bought from Kitely Market (please note that this is not the Export perm you may see in some viewers).

Please note that when you take copy of an object you become the owner of that object which changes which permissions need to be set for you to be able to export it (see links below):

See: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... rmissions/

And: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... plemented/

You can try selecting multiple objects at once and changing their permissions inworld without taking copy of them. Doing this should save you the hassle of positioning copies of the items.
Iain McCracken

Post by Iain McCracken »

Aha, the blog post answers it. Copy and Transfer for next owner are not sufficient, the builders have to set "everyone can copy" as well. I'll get the builders to set that on all their objects.

Thanks
mahdeen roy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mahdeen roy »

Changing the values in the region settings change them in the database, so it isn't a question of whether or not the region control panel is implemented - it is.
mahdeen
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Roxy Gellar wrote:I didn't know there was a need to back up your world/region. Is this a concerning. Or maybe not?

One way I get by on SL is to have everything I can in a large scale rezzer box. I didn't see exactly one like the one I use in SL in Kitely Market Place.

But there is this: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/40 ... ezzer-unit I think it's able to rez structures, etc. I'll have as much of my

stuff in a few of these (as possible) whether there's an issue or not.
It is much better, and easily done here, to make backups or copies whenever you do much of anything in the region that you feel is important enough to not have to redo in case of the whatevers, just as it is with computers who run all this crap [sorry, not crap...I meant, fun stuff we do......]

So, consider all the ways inventory can be and has been lost in other grids...and backup backup backup.

So adding stuff to boxes and sitting them someplace on a region would augment this, since IARs are not done here.

That is how I brought much of what is in my inventory here prior to them enabling hypergating. I boxed stuff on a region, saved the OARs, uploaded them here...voila!! I could look as cool and sexy as I am in reality [ok, disclaimer...as I "was" in reality.....................]
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Roxy,

First, we backup worlds daily so we'll be able to recover in case of some catastrophe on our end, you don't need to do anything for that.

Second, you can create your own backups by rezzing items inworld and either cloning the world inside Kitely or exporting it to an OAR file.

To clone a world go to the My Worlds page and press the Copy link next to that world's name.

To export a world go to the My World page, press the Manage link next to that world's name to open the Manage World dialog, switch to the Files tab in that dialog, and press the Export World button.

Please note that some Premium Account users keep one of their Premium Worlds just for the purpose of occasional backing up of their items (adding new items to that world as they acquire / build them and exporting it once every so often).

Please note that some items may be filtered out from the clone/backup depending on their permissions, see: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... rmissions/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Constance Peregrine