OARs and permissions

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Dot Matrix

OARs and permissions

Post by Dot Matrix »

Could we perhaps use this thread to pool understandings of how the permissions system works when saving OARs of collaborative builds? I know I'm not alone in finding the issue difficult to sort out and plan for. I'll then try to summarise the findings.

For example, I recently tried to save a backup OAR of a build in progress (Selenitica). One item that was excluded from the OAR ("insufficient permissions") was a linked set of CME parts of a kit with an additional CMT part that the creator had given to me inworld.

I (and he) had thought that CMT items given inworld were exportable, so we were surprised that the complete linkset wasn't.

After this I did an experiment in my Storehouse region. The separate items in the kit (CME) and the addon piece (CMT) were all saved without a problem to an OAR. The linkset was excluded once again.

CMT + CME = CM ≠ E ?
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansSerene Jewell
Dot Matrix

Re: OARs and permissions

Post by Dot Matrix »

Here's another test, this one being important for collaborative builds. These were done in Firestorm, the items were bought from Kitely Market and had CME or CMTE perms.

World manager puts out an item to use, and shares it with group. Call this item A.

Group builder copy-drags item A in world. The dragged item (the original, now out of place) is owned by world manager (item A); the copy, item B (which appears in the original place), is owned by group builder with same perms applied.

Now world manager copy-drags item B (owned by group builder and in the original place); the new copy, item C, is in the original place and owned by the world manager. Item B is out of place, and owned by group builder.

Now an OAR is taken. According to the report, all items (A, B and C) were saved to the OAR.

This OAR is loaded into a local-host SoaS region and checked inworld using Singularity. Originals and copies are in place. The owner of both originals and copies (no matter who made them) is the SoaS avie, who is also named as previous owner. Creator names are preserved, together with Kitely grid info. Perms as set in Kitely are also preserved.
Paislee MyrtleSerene Jewell
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

The way this currently works is we use the most restrictive permission of an object's components to decide whether it is exportable. So, for example, anything combined with a no-export object will be no-export. The one limitation that currently exists is that if you combine an exportable object from Kitely Market with an object that isn't from Kitely Market then the joined object will become unexportable even if the part that isn't from Kitely Market is Copy+Transfer and therefor would be exportable otherwise.

This can be made more flexible but would require more development time to implement and test (I can't give any ETA at this time). Until this is done, you can resort to unjoining such objects before exporting them.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Ozwell WayfarerSerene JewellAlexina Proctor
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Ilan. Being aware of the limitation helps. It can, as you say, be worked around by simply unlinking the objects.
Ozwell WayfarerSerene Jewell
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Here are a couple of relevant quotes from OAR making weirdness (emphasis added):
Ilan Tochner wrote:You don't have to have full perms for an object in your world in order to have it included in an OAR file of that world. You do however have to have Copy+Transfer for that object and the object must not be market No-Export if it was bought from Kitely Market (please note that this is not the Export perm you may see in some viewers).

Please note that when you take copy of an object you become the owner of that object which changes which permissions need to be set for you to be able to export it (see links below):

See: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... rmissions/

And: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... plemented/
Iain McCracken wrote:Aha, the blog post answers it. Copy and Transfer for next owner are not sufficient, the builders have to set "everyone can copy" as well.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Alexina Proctor