Lag at Kitely Plaza

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
ShowStopper Eclipse

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Post by ShowStopper Eclipse »

I missed the meeting. I'll try to make the next one.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

just some stats I noted on the Plaza,

I use Astra viewer.

at the landing spot I see:

in about land 35054 prims out of 15000 is it possible you need to make this a 45k prim region. It is also 62976 sqm and 1764 active scripts showing in my statistics panel...sim ping 85m, active objects 5, my fps is always low but i show 8.1 average or so....sim fps of 50 which is low...I also keep draw to 32 unless otherwise needed

lag meter: all in the green for me

avatar rendering cost [and all viewers express this differently] is 4458

in rendering>info displays I found --update types-- I did not understand what it was showing me as most things were all green [it may have been showing me prim collisions as I was seeing what appeared to be a lot of that] so I logged in with imprudence and went to:

advanced>show updates

I found in a not thorough fly around that the --falling water-- scripts in the gardens were all throwing out constant red updates and there are very many there.

Marstols ship thing which is not named but has some jets shooting down from it has several purple continuous updates also.

In The Angry Cat Club Mat's --color change random-- script is throwing up quite a few red continuous updates and there are quite a few there.

I did a search and could not find what the colors mean, tho this may be obvious.

ok, this is interesting tho, and I do not know if it would cause an issue, but the latest imprudence has what they call a MOAP Radar and it found this...something there is calling this website.

http://coffitivity.com/spplayfive.php?u ... 69806216-0

at location 190 350 23 and I see it is this from Marstol "You Tube Video screen" so it may not be any issue.

There is a build that seems to be unneeded @ 158 444 22 by Mat.

It occurred to me that there may be things in the sky so I gth 5000 and dropped down on a wide cam and didn't see anything [tho I could have missed things easily]

None of this is to say anything about anybody at all and should not be construed to be anything other than my small attempt to try and help with other people's issues with reported lag @ the Plaza.

And I do understand it may not even be useful, and, that's ok too-))
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsIlan TochnerBladyblue Bommerang
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the research Minethere :-)

Just one note about the prim limit displayed in the viewer:

The actual prim limit that is enforced for the entire world is 100,000, but each region in the megaregion should show a 100,000 prim limit as well. However, some viewers don't display the value provided by the server and are hardcoded to show the SL 15,000 prim limit instead.
Constance Peregrine

Ilan Tochner wrote:Thank you for the research Minethere :-)

Just one note about the prim limit displayed in the viewer:

The actual prim limit that is enforced for the entire world is 100,000, but each region in the megaregion should show a 100,000 prim limit as well. However, some viewers don't display the value provided by the server and are hardcoded to show the SL 15,000 prim limit instead.
Yes, I had considered that this may be an issue for me as I have seen similar in other situations-))

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sheera Khan

Post by Sheera Khan »

Hi there,
on 02.05.2013 at 20:34 Kitely Time i visited Kitely Plaza and got a bit of lag-eyperience. Mayby the attached statistics are of help in finding the culprit in the logs-

Have fun
Attachments
Kitely Plaza_20_34.png
These users thanked the author Sheera Khan for the post (total 2):
Bladyblue BommerangConstance Peregrine
Bladyblue Bommerang

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

We had mat try to install a NPC in the Blogger's cafe near the telehub area in the plaza. He attempted to find all of the scripts, but some things that he deleted came back. So I think the scripts are floating around in that area still.
These users thanked the author Bladyblue Bommerang for the post (total 2):
Sheera KhanConstance Peregrine
Sheera Khan

Post by Sheera Khan »

I restarted the router and even my computer but the problem persists even at 20:52. I can't really move and I can greet each single pixel on arriving at my screen ^^ Ping times up to 58 seconds!
Attachments
Kitely Plaza_20_52.png
Sheera Khan

Post by Sheera Khan »

TY Blady for your answer, on my second visit I saw someone on the minimap but the viewer didn't translate the UUID to a name and didn't open a chat window :-(
These users thanked the author Sheera Khan for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

UPDATE:

I've spent hours replacing scripts that were creating constant updates with ones that run just once to set an object property.

While I was doing this several people added new scripts that create lag to their shops and to other places.

This world is a public area and needs to have rules so it won't degenerate to a laggy place no one will want to enter.

In order to keep the Kitely Plaza performance at an acceptable level we'll therefor require that no one add any scripts that run in a constant loop or using a repeating timer. Scripts can be used for setting an object property when rezzed, reacting to events etc. but anything that constantly updates objects will be returned to the person placing it.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineSheera Khan
Constance Peregrine

I think, but am not sure, of course, that some of the issues may be that some folx are using scripts optimized for sl and not opensim.

This is a problem I learned well in the inworldz grid, tho they forked off from opensim...many changes are required for scripts to work properly in opensim and it might behoove somebody to start a thread on this.

Inwz is, of course, doing different scripting and thus should not be considered acceptable practices for opensim scriptors.

The good news is that scripting properly for opensim will enable those people to use those scripts properly in their soas or in other opensim grids who keep up with current iterations.

Some scripts are backwards compatible with no problems but some need some research and there are websites/blogs to help in this...I do not script so I do not go to those places unless I get on a roll looking for new scripts to play with/modify.

Opensim code and scripting is in fact more cutting edge, in some regards, than sl scripting, but it takes people to understand this and embrace it.

I have known several scriptors who do this and understand this....

It is, at it's core, a mindset...and those scriptors who see this will have fun with the challenge...imo...of course.

And, btw, who is this person typing this now?????????

Ephemeral wanderer...