Bronze plan and 2 regions - next to each other?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Bronze plan and 2 regions - next to each other?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

One more thing, multi-region worlds are set to Advanced Megaregion mode by default which means that they act like one big region with no region crossing. For example, a 3x3 world would be a 768m x 768m big region. There are a few region-wide configurations that can only be done when this mode is disabled (our Advanced Megaregion mode provides better performance than regular OpenSim megaregions and it also resolves most of the regular megaregion limitations).

To turn on/off Advanced Megaregion mode go to the Advanced tab of the Manage World dialog. We recommend keeping your world in Advanced Megaregion mode and only disabling it temporarily if you need to change a setting that can't be changed when this mode is enabled.
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Thanks, Ilan! Just what I was hoping to hear. :D

Just to make sure I understand the last paragraph: If I use an OAR file to configure one or two of the hypothetical nine regions, then I can't use a separate OAR file to configure one of the others? The others would stay as flat land until I applied terrain files to them and the terrain files could be changed endlessly? [correction: I think I mean RAW files here, not terrain files.]

And in my example, each minute I was in that nine-region world or in my original region would count as just one minute no matter which of the regions I was in?

As always, thanks! I must say that customer service is the tops here. :D
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Adagio :-)

You understood correctly, you can't use more than one OAR file at a time for setting up or replacing a world but you can use terrain files to separately change the individual regions of the world (this is one of the things that requires temporarily disabling Advanced Megaregion mode). OAR files support archiving more than 1 region at a time including all the relevant terrain (its a feature we implemented and contributed to OpenSim). All the OAR files you create in Kitely for big worlds are such multi-region OAR files. You can then upload them into other OpenSim installations, make changes there (for example load an OAR file for a particular region) and export a multi-region OAR file for use in Kitely.

You are charged 1 Minute per minute you spend inworld regardless of which world (yours or other people's) or part of the world you are in. Note that there is an option for world managers to charge people visiting their worlds KCs but they can't bait and switch you, you'll see the price before you enter such worlds and if those prices change while you are already inworld you'll be notified and automatically disconnected unless you agree to the change.
Adagio Greenwood

Thank you! :)
Adagio Greenwood

Thank you so much for all of the explanations! I am following Joe, Jr.'s suggestion (thanks, Joe!) and drawing up a map of what I want to do with a 9-world mega-region.

The root sim/region is always the southwest? If I use an OAR file when I am setting up the world, it will go to the SW region by default? And if I used a multi-region OAR which covers only two or three regions of the total, the file would be applied as it is configured in terms of which regions it is applied to but oriented beginning in the SW? Is anything set by default in the non-root regions? It looks to me in visiting around Kitely as if the regions in a mega are positioned as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 from SW to SE and similarly going north for the rest, am I understanding that correctly?

As always, thanks for all of your help!

Adagio
Adagio Greenwood

Does anybody know how regions are arranged in a mega-region and if the south-west corner is always the root region? I am wondering if we need to start a wiki for mega-regions; I am probably not the only one who is brand new to them. :)
Adagio Greenwood

NM, I found some good basic explanations........ thank you, Ener Hax!!
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

Adagio, I think that's a great idea. Maybe rather than a whole wiki for megaregions, maybe a new topic in this forum (Worlds Support) that becomes a sticky. It could be labeled Megaregion Tips and Tricks, or something.

I have mega-region worlds myself, but i haven't worked with OARs in them yet, so I am clueless in this area. It would be great to have a series of how-tos, and links to how-tos, for managing megaregion worlds. Not just OARs, but raw files, region settings, scripting functionality outside the root region, etc.
These users thanked the author Ohn Lang for the post:
Adagio Greenwood
Miriam Zhivago

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Oh, k. I think I understand. Currently, I am on the Gold Plan. If I am understanding this correctly, I can create 20 free worlds with this plan, but I can not navigate between them. In order to be able to navigate between worlds and not just tp between them I will need the 16 region plan, which is one large 16 region world. Is that correct?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Miriam,

Your Gold Plan enables you to create 20 time-based billing regions for free. You can use these regions in any combination of world sizes. For example, you can create a 16-region world and a 4-region world. All the regions in a world are adjacent to one another and active at the same time. This means you can easily walk, fly, swim and teleport between them without having to wait for them to activate.