Bronze plan and 2 regions - next to each other?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Bronze plan and 2 regions - next to each other?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Kitely worlds that are more than 1 region in size (aka "big worlds") can be set up as a single big region (a megaregion) or as separate regions running in the same OpenSim simulator. When the world is in Advanced Megaregion mode (which is the default) everything works as if you are running inside a single region that is more than 256m by 256m in size. This has many performance benefits and enables you, for example, to see all the worlds regions in the minimap no matter what region you are currently in (when Advanced Megaregion mode is disabled you only see the region you are in and its adjacent regions).

The only downside of using Advanced Megaregion mode is that some region-wide settings can only be set when Advanced Megaregion mode is disabled. If you try to make such a settings change in the viewer you will get a message notifying you that you need to disable Advanced Megaregion mode to do so. You'll be able to do this in the Advanced tab of the Manage World window in you account (which opens when you click the Manage link next to the world's name in the My Worlds page of your Kitely account).

Once you're done changing the region-wide settings, e.g. loading a RAW file for the region's terrain, you can then re-enable Advanced Megaregion mode and have those setting remain in effect.

The identity of the root region in Kitely's Advanced Megaregions isn't as important as in regular OpenSim megaregions as Advanced Megaregions solve the various limitations that regular OpenSim megaregions suffer from. For example, parcel media works in all the area of an Advanced Megaregion while that feature only works in the root region of a regular OpenSim megaregion.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Adagio Greenwood
Adagio Greenwood

Re: Bronze plan and 2 regions - next to each other?

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Yeah, megaregions ROCK!! If you want to look around a bit, Miriam, I would be happy to show you some of the big regions in Kitely. I have several myself but have settled on a 2 x 2 configuration as the best fit for me for now. Just PM me if you would like a tour. :D

Adagio