Login Issues??

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Barnard Smith

Login Issues??

Post by Barnard Smith »

Having trouble logging into my world. Got there today only to be frozen and unable to work. logged out then had to login several times only to get trapped at the holding station for a long time..it eventually TPed me to my world. Is there issues??
Ilan Tochner

Re: Login Issues??

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Branard,

Sometimes it can take longer to start a world. When that happens just wait until you are teleported over to your world.

This often happens after uploading a new OAR file - it takes time for the system to cache all the world components.
Barnard Smith

Post by Barnard Smith »

My world has logged me out twice tonight, once earlier today..sim crash. And I've been held in the transfer station so long that it timed out and crashed three times today, twice tonight. And Ive not installed any new Oar.
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

When this happens to me, it is because there are a lot of non-phantom, non-optimised, overlapping sculpties in the region, causing problems with physics calculations when the region is started up. You can check this by looking at the stats available from control-shift-1 -- the physics section might show 0 fps instead of 54-55 fps when the region is fully loaded.

To try to improve this, I take the region offline, and work on it using SoaS, turning the sculpts in question to phantom and adding invisible basic prims for collision shapes (Imprudence). Alternatively, if the sculpts are part of a mixed link-set, I select "None" for physics shape in the Feature tab for that particular sculpted prim (Firestorm). Both reduce the amount of maths required on region start-up.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Branard,

There was a temporary system problem for about 50 minutes yesterday night. The problem has been fixed so hopefully you won't need to wait so long for your world to start the next time you enter it.

That said, please follow Dot's advise and make sure that your world doesn't contain overlapping non-phantom meshes or sculpties. Those types of overlaps can really slow down world startup times as the physics engine needs to calculate the combined collision mesh and that can be quite time consuming.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I always set anything i can to phantom...
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Paul Wilson

Post by Paul Wilson »

I agree, Minethere. I always try to make everything I can phantom. This reduces load on the physics engine, but it also improves the ability of users to move around a virtual space as they don't keep getting stuck on random piece of geometry (this is one of the most annoying experiences for new - and even experienced - users).
These users thanked the author Paul Wilson for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Paul Wilson wrote:I agree, Minethere. I always try to make everything I can phantom. This reduces load on the physics engine, but it also improves the ability of users to move around a virtual space as they don't keep getting stuck on random piece of geometry (this is one of the most annoying experiences for new - and even experienced - users).
Yes, and so many people do not consider this-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...