Just created a new world

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Arton Tripsa

Just created a new world

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Just created a new world - 4 regions of nothing but land. Several folks coming in are getting a spinning beach ball and crash. (Everyone affected is on a Mac.) Now one of the folks affected is on a computer with limited resources but I am on a very souped up Mac. I am on FS, the other is on Singularity. There are no scripts and no objects on this new world - what is happening? Thanks for your advice :-)
Ilan Tochner

Re: Just created a new world

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Are you referring to the world Quill? If so, I just entered it without any issues using Firestorm on Windows.

Were the people trying to enter the world logging into it directly or trying to teleport from another world?

You'll note that viewers running on computers without enough free RAM sometimes have a hard time freeing up the memory they were using in the world you were teleporting out off and therefor crash when teleporting into a new world. The way to work around that limitation is it log into the desired world directly so that the viewer doesn't need to free up any memory to do so.
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Yes, I am referring to Quill. Both people were trying to tp to the world from State Of Writing in Kitely. But since then I have done some more investigation. This was happening to me even when I tp'ed to the Welcome Centre, lol. I don't think it is Quill.

I do agree not having enough ram is a problem. The other person affected does not have enough ram, so that may be their problem - I will certainly tell them your tip about logging into the world directly, thank you.

However I have a Mac with 32 GB of Ram on a 3.4ghz Intel core i5. And now I have a weird theory- I think FS is great but I have found that FS on a Mac is not as reliable as on Windows in Virtual Worlds This is in no way a criticism of the marvellous FS developers. But I have found many weird probs with FS over the years on a Mac in SL.

(Interestingly the other person is on a Mac too.)

I also think going to SL and back to Kitely on FS can cause problems for me. I cleared my cache and this seems to have helped.

Would be very interested in the experience other Mac users are having atm. I am on Mavericks atm.

Of course my theory may be totally wrong….

And thank you to the folks who did tp over to Quill to see how it affected them. I appreciate your time :-)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

Logging in to different grids (using different avatars, i.e. not by HG teleporting between them with one avatar) can cause various issues with cached content. When you clear the viewer cache please make sure you clear the viewer inventory cache as well.

That said, this shouldn't cause the type of problems you reported here.