Are Megaregions made up of 300-400 regions(sims) possible?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Blake Coverdale
Has thanked: 0

Are Megaregions made up of 300-400 regions(sims) possible?

Post by Blake Coverdale »

Hello, I am interested in building a world for sailing and flying made up of 200-400 sims. Looking to find out if its possible to do in Kitely so long as I have the money to pay for it. Does anyone know if that is allowed here?
These users thanked the author Blake Coverdale for the post:
Moonrise Azalee
Dot Matrix

Re: Are Megaregions made up of 300-400 regions(sims) possibl

Post by Dot Matrix »

The biggest possible Kitely world (varregion) is 4x4 = 16 standard regions -- in other words, a 1024x1024 m square.

It's not possible to join these together to make a contiguous continent or ocean.
Moonrise Azalee

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

As someone who loves to sail in SL, and who has mainland regions adjacent to the sailing seas in InWorldz, I can totally empathize with your goal. I also would love to make a huge varregion for sailing/flying. In SL, I have access to almost 100 water sims for sailing - and its so lovely.
There are technical reasons as to why it is not viable here, I recall the conversation before - but I can't remember what the reasons are :)
Blake Coverdale

To Dot Matrix: Thank you for enlightening me :)

TO Moonrise Azalee: Yes I can identify. I sail in SL too. Just sick and tired of banlines and 10 second security orbs... as well as the frustration of not being able to sail around all of the SL mainland thanks to LL allowing land greed barons to build over precious water passages. SL these days feels mostly like a lawless world with only 2 forms of effective control (orbs and banlines)... and both are abused and used to limit sailing and flying or in some cases even walking some places. Ive kind of come to the conclusion that SL needs a system of government where residents can vote on issues of needed change. Mainly to get LL to instate new policys or laws. Perhaps policy that declares no more banlines and for all security orbs sold in SL(mainly Thomas conover) to be rescripted with 60 seconds as a minimum. All of these things lately are kind of killing some of my enjoyment of SL lately therefore why I was investigating kitely as a possible platform to build a super region... for sailing and flying without sim crossing issues....banlines or orbs. Im such a dreamer. :(
Moonrise Azalee

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

Hah!
I have a small parcel near the water in Heterocera and make it a goal to try to get down to Sansara - boy oh boy! What looks navigatable often isnt, or the banlines that bounce you about, sometimes pushing the boat into another banned or orb protected parcel - the chanels are mostly okay but unless its a very small boat its not pleasant. there are a few big bodies of water -- but then theres the big bodies of homestead water - with a max of 20 avis and if they are full (like my last trip through) you cant even sail through.
I still love mainland for wandering about on foot but air/water --- nope.
Blake Coverdale

Funny that you mentioned heterocera... that is the only continent I have not sailed much on and was thinking an hour ago about attempting to sail it again. Sailing from the bottom of it to Sansara from before the transcontinental channel isnt an issue... but as you stated it seems to be if you try to sail north upward into the atoll... either banlines, orbs or builds over water kill it. :cry:
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

One idea that I had been working on was to enable a "mobile sim". In SL, Lindens have told me they can literally "surf" a sim across the grid. I'm not sure if they were bsing me or not (I had this convo with a Linden who was delivering a region to me that I'd bought from another estate owner, and was moving it to link up to my own continent), but it set me to thinking that you could have a sim operating as a subjective reference frame of the user, moving about the "void" areas of the grid, algorithmically generating small islands, sea life, birds, etc.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Mike Lorrey wrote:One idea that I had been working on was to enable a "mobile sim". In SL, Lindens have told me they can literally "surf" a sim across the grid.
We did something like this a few years ago to sail Mat's sim-sized cruise ship across vast empty reaches of OSgrid and dock it close to some of the Devokan lands from time to time, albeit by manually tweaking the coordinates of the sim it was on via Region.ini. (We were directly renting a server at the time.)