Falling through skybox floor

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Roswenthe Blackwell

Falling through skybox floor

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

I'm trying to set up a tutorial skybox, but no matter where I set the landmark, I either fall through the floor or stand on the top of it. The roof is phantom, the floor is not. I even made a new floor from a basic prim, and it's still happening. There's no mesh in it that I know of. Not seeing any invisible prims. I let the sim shut down and reboot, and it's still happening.
These users thanked the author Roswenthe Blackwell for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Falling through skybox floor

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Rosenthal,

Only the outside faces of a prim have collision meshes set for them so if you want a cube to have a non-phantom floor inside the cube then you need to make the cube hollow and have avatars walk inside it. That said, you should really use a mesh for that and not a prim.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I normally add a metre or so to the z value. Usually works.
Roswenthe Blackwell

I did both of those, well, except for creating a mesh. I instead flattened the walls and did individual walls, and that fixed it. Making it hallow didn't
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

In retrospect I don't think I understood the question :)
Dragon Ronin

Post by Dragon Ronin »

FYI :geek: When creating meshes to walk on I have discovered that they need to be at maximum LOD all the way down the list. I accidentally let one go through as it suggests at several LOD and found it both "soft" (avatar sinks in) and several place the avatar fell through. Loading the Mesh as the single LOD seems to avoid that problem.
These users thanked the author Dragon Ronin for the post:
Keith Selmes
Roswenthe Blackwell

Dragon Ronin wrote:FYI :geek: When creating meshes to walk on I have discovered that they need to be at maximum LOD all the way down the list. I accidentally let one go through as it suggests at several LOD and found it both "soft" (avatar sinks in) and several place the avatar fell through. Loading the Mesh as the single LOD seems to avoid that problem.
These were all just basic prims. I just hallowed out a square box and made it a room, but apparently it wasn't registering as hallow.
These users thanked the author Roswenthe Blackwell for the post:
Keith Selmes
Dragon Ronin

Post by Dragon Ronin »

Btw as the Landscape bases for Sky boxes don't really fit any of the several divisions in the market it would be a good thing to make one for them ;)
These users thanked the author Dragon Ronin for the post:
Selby Evans
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

I've seen prims with glitchy holes in their collision boxes before, its rare but does happen. Replacing them usually fixes the problem, but once in SL I had to get Lucy Linden look at the code because the problem repeated (yes, Lucy was with LL a long time ago). Try switching the material type around a bit, and do not copy the new prim from one that has already been hollowed or path cut or been made phantom. Make sure that you are using the ruler snaps to size and place prims so they abut each other exactly. Even very tiny gaps some folks can't see, or skewed overlapping collision boxes, can create such effects.