Voice Issues

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Your Teacher

Voice Issues

Post by Your Teacher »

During the drama session today no one had voice. I tried different viewers, and even went to the Welcome island - same thing. A couple of people got messages saying the system couldn't connect to voice servers, and on checking my preferences all I got was the "Please Wait" message.

Thanks.
Last edited by Your Teacher on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Your Teacher for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Re: Voice Issues

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Was the meeting held inside an organization, such as a university? If so, it's likely that the network you connected from has a firewall that prevented your viewer from connecting to the voice servers. If it worked in the past then I'd recommend going to your system administrator and ensuring that the firewall ports that are listed in this page are still open: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/displ ... ual+Worlds

Please keep in mind that Kitely uses Vivox for voice (the third party service provider that is used by Second Life as well) and that communications to and from Vivox happen directly from your viewer and don't pass threw Kitely at all. In other words, our servers aren't involved in your voice sessions beyond supplying the viewer with the address and channel of the Vivox sever it needs to connect to. This will only change of we switch to running a voice server on our own network. But even if we did so we would still be unable to overcome any firewall-related issues on your end.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Your Teacher

Post by Your Teacher »

Hi Ilan,

No, we don't have servers etc. :shock: Just a PC on a desk in the corner of the office. :cry:

Our session is run from everyone's individual computer, and we are all spread out around the world, with our own ISPs etc. :oops:

In the past we have had one or two people unable to use their mic, but not the whole group. We ended up speaking on Skype whilst acting in-world. :mrgreen:

I just logged in and it's working now, so it must have been a glitch. :geek:
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi YT,

As I said, voice support in Kitely is handled by Vivox, which provides both the code running in the viewer to connect to their voice servers and the servers themselves, so we have no control over the resulting quality of service. Please believe me when I say I wish we had a viable alternative. Unfortunately, all the alternatives that exist for integrated voice support in SL-derived viewers have various limitations that make them inadequate.