Something wrong with my World

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Arton Tripsa

Something wrong with my World

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 10.51.16 PM.png
I think there is something wrong with my advanced world, The State of Writing.
1/ Despite numerous mesh objects being made phantom by Ilan ( thank you ) and now the system doing this automatically and despite the fact I have made the whole place so phantom it almost floats (joking) none of these fixes actually achieve any improvement in the start up time - in fact the start up time is deteriorating - despite the fact that not much new has been added and what is added is made phantom and the fact that I have reduced the top scripts to around 40 ms and the fact that although it does have around 40,000 objects the majority as I said are now phantom. It is now taking up to 4 minutes for the world to start up.

2/ I made 2 attempts to make a copy of the world tonight and each time everything went well until suddenly I got the error message attached. I tried to copy the State of Writing into a new world called Writers Block. Each time the new world was created and the SOW was happily copying and then suddenly got the message that the 'virtual world' could not start up and then the newly created copy self destructed and deleted itself.

Really what would I know but it seemed like the copy of SOW recognised that the new world was in some way corrupted and then decided it could not start it up....

But as I said what would I know so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated - cos it has only taken me over a year to build this world up and I do not think it is going to attract many visitors, especially from other worlds like SL, if new folks have to stand in the Transit lounge for 4 mins....lol.

I have btw set up a Linden home in SL as an outpost for Kitely - it is called Writers Outpost and mainly consists of wall to wall adverts and info on Kitely. You're welcome to visit anytime you want to venture across the dark water... :-)
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansBarnard Smith
Ilan Tochner

Re: Something wrong with my World

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

Your world currently contains 4166 active scripts which together are the cause of most of your world's long startup time. These scripts don't consume a lot of server time once they're active but stating them up does take time. Starting up that many scripts therefore quickly adds up and slows down your world startup time. The solution to this problem is to reduce the number of active scripts in your world.

We'll investigate whether this also prevents your world from being copied. It's possible that the copy world timeout settings we configured to detect problems with copying a world are set too low to handle worlds that take this long to start up, which would cause the process to be rolled back as you described.

We'll get back to you about the copy world problem once we finish our investigation.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteArton Tripsa
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Hi Arton,

The problem is that the new world (the copy) is taking a long time to start. The thing that's taking the most time is actually creating the nice Warp3D world map. Warp3D maps are notoriously slow to create, and in the case of the world "The Art of Writing", it takes 18 minutes to generate it. The problem is that our timeout for this phase of the Copy World process is 20 minutes, and there are more things that need to be done besides the world map, so this timeout has been exceeded.

I have now doubled the timeout for Copy World. I think this should be enough to make it succeed. (I can't be sure, because not all the steps have run yet, but it seems likely. I'll increase the timeout even more if necessary.)

Please try to copy the world again. Just be sure to have patience, because this may take up to 40 minutes...
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Oren wrote:The thing that's taking the most time is actually creating the nice Warp3D world map. Warp3D maps are notoriously slow to create
I've seen this with a small standalone grid, watching the console as regions fire up. In the end I changed the region settings to use static map images.

Not that this would be a solution in Kitely's case, but it shows that the slow Warp3D map image generation is a more general OpenSim issue. I do like the Warp3D end results though!
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

Our system batch calculates Warp3D based maps once per day on servers dedicated for this purpose. However, when a new world is created (via New World, Copy World or Replace World) we need to recalculate the map "live" and this often contributes the most to the speed at which these processes complete. As our system has timeouts set to automatically respond to problems this can result in the type of problem Oren described. Now that we've increased those timeouts our system should be more forgiving to this particular type of problem.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Ok I appreciate your time and I'll certainly work on removing scripts but still wondering why the start up is so variable in nature if the same number of scripts start up every time? ( one day it is 2 mins, next it is 4 mins).... and why it is happening so much now than before... Is there any way to see how many scripts are running, apart from just looking at the top scripts in debug?
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post:
Barnard Smith
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please look at your world page while your world is active. You'll see that your world startup time varies but not to the extent you've mentioned. One thing that does effect your subjective time to enter the world is the viewer login process which in some viewers, such as Firestorm, begins with the automatic checking of the assets that are currently cached by the viewer. This process can take quite a long time if you have a lot of cached assets and your hard drive isn't a fast SSD.