Little confusion with long region name

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Zuza Ritt

Little confusion with long region name

Post by Zuza Ritt »

I changed the name of my region to Faculty of Education Palacky University
Looks like this name does not exist anywhere else then on Kitely webpage.
I can see on map it is shorten for Faculty of Education Palacky Uni, HG URL is grid.kitely.com:8002:Faculty of Education Palacky Uni, but webpage is https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Zu ... University

I am OK with this shortcut inworld. I guess it is OpenSim limit? And Kitely web is the only place where I can use the luxury of an unlimited name?
My questions are:

I am using teleport scripts with llMapDestination, it opens map at precise region spot, so I need regular region name.
Is this shortcut definitive, will it work in any Viewer?

I am just curious, if I would like to make such a shortcut by myself, instead of sheer serendipity by cut right after "Uni," is there some way how to do it? Different name for Kitely webpage and inworld region?
These users thanked the author Zuza Ritt for the post:
Ilan Tochner
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Little confusion with long region name

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

OpenSim limits region name length to 32 characters while Kitely places higher limits. This means that a Kitely world's name may be longer than that world's region names.

The Hypergrid address that is listed in your world's world page is the region name you should use for teleporting via the viewer.

You can make the region name shorter by renaming your world via the world's Manage World window (which you open via the Manage link in your My Worlds page on our website). You can't, however, change the region name to be something that isn't automatically generated from the world name you selected.
Zuza Ritt

Re: Little confusion with long region name

Post by Zuza Ritt »

OK. Thank you very much for quick response, Ilan!
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.