Uploading 1x1 OAR files into 2x2 world?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
JS Saltwater
Been thanked: 0

Uploading 1x1 OAR files into 2x2 world?

Post by JS Saltwater »

Hi there,

I have a 2x2 world into which I've already imported a 1x1 region OAR file (exported from another opensim vendor I used to be with before Kitely).

I'm now looking to populate the other 3 regions and have been looking at some of the free OARs out there to use as starting points. Ideally, I would like to be able to import one into one of my unused regions to take a closer look, and either keep it there or pick some things to save and then overwrite it. Given that I have a half-dozen OARs I'm looking at, I'd want to do this a couple of times before settling on the actual one(s) to use.

Is this possibly via direct intervention by the Kitely gods? Something like "please import this OAR file into the NE region in my world"?

Or if not possible, can I temporarily add a 1x1 region separately and use it for at least opening and cherry-picking items?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Joe Clark / JS Saltwater
Ilan Tochner

Re: Uploading 1x1 OAR files into 2x2 world?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi JS,

I'd suggest you do the following:

1) Use the Export World option in your world's Manage World dialog to export that world to an OAR file. Please read the Export Report after you do so to ensure the OAR file includes a full backup of the world's contents. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/

2) Use the Replace World option in your original world to replace that world with the OAR files you wish to test out. This will enable you to test one OAR file at a time, copying the parts that you want into your inventory for later inclusion in your big world. You can then restore the original world from the OAR file you created in step 1 and rezz the objects you copied into your inventory in the desired locations.

Please note that our system enables you to replace an existing world with an OAR file but doesn't enable you to import an OAR file into an existing world. To merge the entire contents from multiple OAR files into a single Kitely world, merge the multiple OAR files outside Kitely then create a single OAR file of the resulting grid and import that into a Kitely world using the Replace World option in that world's Manage World dialog.

Tip: you can move a pre-built area in your world by using the Resize world option in your world's Manage World dialog. You can choose which part to keep when you decrease the world size then choose where to place the existing world regions when you increase the world size. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... ical-tool/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
JS Saltwater
Been thanked: 0

Post by JS Saltwater »

Thank you, Ilan! I'll try those ideas out and post back if I run into difficulties. I really appreciate the help!
JS
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Great, please let us know if there is anything else you need.