Couldn't eject (parked) avatar from my world

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Kat Lemieux

Couldn't eject (parked) avatar from my world

Post by Kat Lemieux »

Hi, I've never tried ejecting someone from one of my Kitely worlds before, but today I did. But it didn't work. The person had apparently gone off to lunch or something and just left their avatar unattended, since there was no response to either local chat or IM, but when I used the eject function, the avvie jerked a bit, but stayed put. This happened several times. I finally restarted the world after changing the settings to disallow any except premium account holders, and since no one else was there, it finally booted them off. But I thought this ought to be reported.

Kat <-- good at breaking things in Kitely this week
Ilan Tochner

Re: Couldn't eject (parked) avatar from my world

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kat,

If this happens again, please try banning the avatar then unbanning it. Also, a restart without changing the world's Access controls should work as well.

Please let us know if either one of these options doesn't work.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I think I saw a case of a ghosted avatar on my world. It seemed that the ghosted avatar was preventing the world from closing and that the logout for inactivity dif not apply to the ghosted avatar. I forced a restart on the world and that cleared the ghost. If my assessment is correct, ghosted avatars cost money to Kitely.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You are correct Selby, they do cost us money. Unfortunately, OpenSim doesn't detect ghosted avatars properly so our own system can't ignore their presence when deciding whether the world has become empty and can therefore be deactivated. This can cause world simulators to consume server resources unjustifiably. We improved ghosted avatar detection compared to standard OpenSim but our fix didn't cover all the scenarios in which this can happen.
Kat Lemieux

Post by Kat Lemieux »

Selby, I don't think my "guest" was a ghost. Would a ghost still show up as "counting" on the account history page? This one did. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thanks, Ilan. I hope I don't have to use the function again, but if I do I'll keep your tips in mind. And of course will let you know if there's any future problems. I'm in awe of how quickly you always respond to issues!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Kat, I'm (almost) always close to a device with internet access and I rarely sleep :-)