estate manager not able to do anything

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Tristan Lawksley

Re: estate manager not able to do anything

Post by Tristan Lawksley »

Karen Vela wrote:I have given my estate manager all rights to the land, to sell, terraform etc, but nothing is working? I even set the land to group as there are 5 islands that should be in different peoples names, but sell land is not working, and the estate manager can do nothing on the land
The main issue is the management of the land (Prim returning and management), renaming of land, and basic functions. Everything is greyed out and I can't do anything at all.

UPDATE
We were able to get the island rename/description working, but that's it. Prim management on the island isn't working - I can't return prims (It says that I can when I attempted it, but it didn't return anything. Object Owner isn't working (It stalls on searching.) either.
Minethere Always wrote:What viewer[s] are being used?
Singularity and Firestorm (Linux)
Minethere Always wrote:You can activate admin which ungreys several land options, some are false but other will work.
This hasn't worked at all - at least not where the management of prims and whatnot are concerned. I haven't bothered messing with the rest of the options as of yet.
Ilan Tochner wrote:I suggest you set the region to a group then create a special rule for the Estate Manager which provides her with all the rights you wish her to have.
We've tested this and the issue persists.
Ilan Tochner wrote:Kitely makes it very cheap to own your own land in Kitely so the need for land resales is significantly reduced. That said, if people are willing to pay you, you can charge them using PayPal (or some other means) and give them rights to a parcel in your world for a defined amount of time.
Land is cheap, but people will always have extenuating circumstances that keeps them from being able to carry the cost (Such as mine currently.), or as such where people decide to share land instead of everyone getting their own. In Karen's case she can't rent out land via Paypal due to the issues she has there.
Ilan Tochner wrote:Enabling built-in support for doing so using Kitely Credits isn't currently planned but we'll consider adding it in the future if there is sufficient demand.
Please count my vote for it. Land renting (via Kitelys) and management fixes are something that I'd like to see on Kitely as soon as possible.
Last edited by Tristan Lawksley on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Tristan Lawksley for the post:
Karen Vela
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

There is a long list of OSSL functions that are restricted to the world owner (http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... functions/). When sharing the management of a multi-region world with partners, and desiring to give them full region permissions, that would include the wish to allow them the ability to use those functions.

With the settings on Kitely plaza, are non-world owners able to create scripted objects that use those functions that are restricted to world owner?
Karen Vela

Post by Karen Vela »

we did find that it was a megaregion problem with some of the issues we were having. Setting the world back to separate instead of megaregion fixed some of the issues
These users thanked the author Karen Vela for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineTristan Lawksley
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sherrie,

No, only objects owned by the world manager can call those functions as they are a potential source for griefing . It isn't something you can give other people rights to in your world. If such functions are required the person that needs them should give the object to the world manager and have him/her rezz it inworld. The world manager is held personally accountable for any misuse of those potentially harmful function calls so should take time to review scripts that use them.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Karen Vela
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sherrie,

No, only objects owned by the world manager can call those functions as they are a potential source for griefing . It isn't something you can give other people rights to in your world. If such functions are required the person that needs them should give the object to the world manager and have him/her rezz it inworld. The world manager is held personally accountable for any misuse of those potentially harmful function calls so should take time to review scripts that use them.
The world manager should be held personally accountable regardless. At the same time, the world manager should be able to choose whether to give partners permissions to use those functions. Being unable to reduces the ability to delegate and collaborate across timezones.
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Karen Vela wrote:we did find that it was a megaregion problem with some of the issues we were having. Setting the world back to separate instead of megaregion fixed some of the issues
That is unfortunate. Having to go back to regular regions means you have to deal with region crossings, and lose the benefits afforded by the megaregion setting.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sherrie,

Kitely's interface enables you to easily switch back and forth between using Advanced Megaregion mode and having a world act as separate regions. So you can disable Advanced Megaregion mode to change region-wide settings and then enable it to get the benefit of no region crossings.

In any case, we'll investigate whether the issues we discovered today can be fixed so you won't have to resort to the aforementioned workaround.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sherrie,

The world manager is held personally accountable for what happens in his or her world but fallouts between once-trusted friends are quite common in virtual worlds (otherwise known as "drama"). The more accounts with access to potentially harmful rights you add the more risk you expose your world to. Allowing other people to use functions that can destroy worlds they don't manage and aren't held accountable for is a potential source for a lot of grief both for well meaning world managers and for us. There is some cost to collaboration projects that result from those safety policies but working around them is a lot less painful than you might think (settings/functions that are world-manager only are usually updated very infrequently).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineKaren Vela
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sherrie,

The world manager is held personally accountable for what happens in his or her world but fallouts between once-trusted friends are quite common in virtual worlds (otherwise known as "drama"). The more accounts with access to potentially harmful rights you add the more risk you expose your world to. Allowing other people to use functions that can destroy worlds they don't manage and aren't held accountable for is a potential source for a lot of grief both for well meaning world managers and for us. There is some cost to collaboration projects that result from those safety policies but working around them is a lot less painful than you might think (settings/functions that are world-manager only are usually updated very infrequently).
I understand it's a risk, but my first thought was "Am I five years old?"

Business partners, collaborative partners often take calculated risks when going into said partnerships. If I were voting, I'd say always hold the world manager accountable but allow the world manager to make adult risk versus benefit decisions when working in partnership with others and giving others powers within their world.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sherrie,

I understand your wishes but they aren't likely to be addressed by sharing a world that is managed by one person. That said, we've discussed adding group plans in the past and it makes sense that, once implemented, people who are on such plans will be able to share access to various settings/features that are currently only accessible to a single world manager.