My world got rolled back about 2 hours w/o my knowing....

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Arton Tripsa

My world got rolled back about 2 hours w/o my knowing....

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Hi, this evening at around 12:45am Tuesday 24th October Kitely time I logged out. When I logged in again at 2:45am my world appeared to have been rolled back about 2 hours, and I had lost all my work on setting up a new building. There was a message when I logged in again about '30 slow objects'... it said nothing about the world being rolled back 2 hours at all.

Now I know what slow objects are but I find it incredible that suddenly out of the blue a world that had no slow objects should have suddenly developed 30 - and then was rolled back without warning me. Also those objects have been on my world for about a year AND they were NOT made phantom when I inspected them. I then had to make them phantom myself. They had nothing to do with the new building I had just rezzed.

I did however freeze just before I left at 12: 45am and I stopped the world. Then I logged out.

I also changed the physics to OED just before I came back. I was on Bullet but I find there is a prob with Bullet of walking through some doorways, which is solved if you changed to OED and then back to Bullet after the said building with problem doors has been rezzed. However the Slow Objects had nothing to do with that new building...

Are we being taken over by automatic Demons who IMAGINE things...Because the world was not opening slower... I time every entry with a stopwatch to make sure that it is opening consistently in a reasonable time - and tonight it was actually opening slightly quicker if anything- about 1min - 1..30 mins is the usual time. I am trying very hard to keep the script numbers under control because that is what really influences the opening time the most.

I realise that this may have been a weird glitch but .....I thought I should mention it. Any clues as to what's going on? Will it, horror of horrors, happen again?

Thanks for reading :-)
Constance Peregrine

Re: My world got rolled back about 2 hours w/o my knowing...

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Arton Tripsa wrote:Are we being taken over by automatic Demons who IMAGINE things...
It's the Evil Overlord... :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Oren Hurvitz
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

There was a problem starting and stopping several worlds yesterday (for a period of about 1.5 hours until we found the cause and fixed it). Your world was one of the worlds that was affected. This had to do with MySQL trying to automatically update itself while the world was being started or stopped. This, in turn, caused various processes to time out which messed up the saving of several world states (thus causing the data loss) and the object complexity calculations of objects that had no cached collision meshes (which your world lost when you switched physics engines).

We've changed it so that MySQL will no longer try to automatically update itself on servers with active worlds so this particular issue won't happen again. I'm sorry for your lost work. If you want, we can restore your world to a saved world state from a previous day, but please note that that will result in you losing all the changes you've made since the time the automatic backup was made.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Arton Tripsa
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Well I'm relieved that there was a logical reason and it was not Demons...

No prob about my stuff it was all copyable and nothing was really lost. I guess I noticed it because I am on Australian time which means I am up when everyone else is asleep, and I thought I should say something.

Thanks for the explanation. (In Kitely there is no Evil Overlord... :twisted: )
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for your understanding Arton :-)