Raw Files

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Soo Novi

Raw Files

Post by Soo Novi »

Greetings & Salutations!

I'm new to Kitely, and although I've been floating around OSGrid & SL off and on (more off than on) for more than a decade, I find there is no end to learning curves in the VR world. So, I come with questions. :)

My experience with raw files harkens back to a decade ago in Second Life, where I had as many as 10 sims, some grouped into estates but still individual 256x256 sims. If I remember correctly, at that time when I made raw files they were 256x256 (257x257?) 8 bit (16 bit?) height maps that I uploaded to a 256x256 sim. No issues.

Now I have a 2x2 and I'm assuming the height map will need to be 512x512, but when I upload I am getting an IO error and a reference to storage (I wish I'd written the error down verbatim, but I didn't). I feel confident this is an ID10T error, that is to say - mine.

So, the obvious questions are:

1. Am I correct in my assumption that a single 512x512 height map is proper for a 2x2 world? If not, then what is proper for my situation?
2. Does anyone know if it's 8bits or 16? I honestly can't remember and am not sure if that would be changed for a different system and grid anyway.
3. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on raw file uploading? I obviously need a refresher course.

I ran a search for "raw file" and "Raw Files" and "terrain Files" and they all said that the words I had chosen were too common so I didn't get any returns. If these questions have been flogged to death please do pardon me and direct me to those threads. Thanks again! :)
These users thanked the author Soo Novi for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Raw Files

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Soo,

The RAW file size needs to match the world size you've chosen, so: 256x256 (1-region sized world), 512x512 (4-region sized world), 768x768 (9-region sized world), or 1024x1024 (16-region sized world).

For technical details about this file type's requirements (and how to create one), see: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Tips
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Soo NoviSelby Evans
Soo Novi

Re: Raw Files

Post by Soo Novi »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 pm
Hi Soo,

The RAW file size needs to match the world size you've chosen, so: 256x256 (1-region sized world), 512x512 (4-region sized world), 768x768 (9-region sized world), or 1024x1024 (16-region sized world).

For technical details about this file type's requirements (and how to create one), see: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Tips
Woot! You rock. Thank you, Ilan!
These users thanked the author Soo Novi for the post:
Ilan Tochner