Trouble Logging off and TP'ing out of my region only.

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Zyzzyx Qinan

Trouble Logging off and TP'ing out of my region only.

Post by Zyzzyx Qinan »

For quite awhile now, every time I log off of Kitely from my region (grid.kitely.com:8002:Castaway in Neverland) Firestorm "hangs" and won't quit, I have to force quit the program. Also, I have trouble TP'ing out of my region, I will crash every single time. When i log back in to "Last Location" I am at the destination I was headed for. This includes TPing to the welcome center and other Kitely regions as well as hypergrid addresses.

This ONLY happens when i log off or TP out of my region Castaway in Neverland. I can TP In just fine, I can TP out of the welcome center or any other region i visit just fine. If i log off from any other region Firestorm closes normally.

Some details:
*Firestorm version 6.3.9.58205 (6.3.9.58205) for Mac, Open Sim version
*(did the same thing on Firestorm version 6.0.2 as well)
*Mac OS 10.11.6
*Castaway in Neverland is set to group only.
*I have cleared Cache and Inventory Cache
*I have tested from the Welcome Center and I can TP out and log out just fine, Viewer closes normally
*This happens with my alts as well.
*This happens to my partner and her alts too, she is on Windows 10 and uses Firestorm version 6.0.2 (i know, i told her to upgrade)

An interesting note, this was happening before Kitely was upgraded to OpenSim 0.9 right after the upgrade, I could log out normally, but a few weeks later the problem returned.
These users thanked the author Zyzzyx Qinan for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Trouble Logging off and TP'ing out of my region only.

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zyzzyx,

The issue may be due to the amount of unique assets you have rezzed in your world and the resulting amount of memory required to handle them on your computer. When Firestorm shuts down or teleports to other worlds it first needs to release all the memory it has allocated for all the assets in the world it has just visited. This can take time and can cause hangs and even complete viewer freezes if your computer doesn't have enough RAM.

How much RAM does your computer have?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Zyzzyx Qinan
Zyzzyx Qinan

Post by Zyzzyx Qinan »

Ahh.. that could possibly explain things. I do understand how viewer needs to release memory, and i do experience those "hangs" and screen freezes.

I have 8 GB ram and 512 VRAM on video card. I know my computer is getting long in tooth.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

If you don't wish to cut back on the amount of unique assets you use in your world I recommend you increase your computer memory and consider upgrading your graphics card as well (it's been many years since any company has sold graphics cards that only have 512MB of RAM).