Uniformly raising height of region

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Kaylee West
Has thanked: 0

Uniformly raising height of region

Post by Kaylee West »

Hi All!

I would like to raise the height of the land in our new region uniformly. Currently it is paper thin, but I would like to make it "thicker" so I can terraform a river. I realise I can terraform it with the Edit Terrain tools, but I want to raise all the land in the region at the same time to the same height.

I have been looking for some RAW files, but haven't found one yet that raises a whole region uniformly (mostly seem to be islands or have mountains).

Any guidance hugely appreciated.

Kaylee
These users thanked the author Kaylee West for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Uniformly raising height of region

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kaylee,

If you intend to create a RAW file manually then I recommend you read this first: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Tips_fo ... _RAW_Files
Kaylee West

Post by Kaylee West »

Hi Ilan!

Thanks for responding.

I've read that web page you recommended and find it rather "challenging". I was wondering if you know of any RAW files out there that I could purchase or download?

Any further guidance hugely appreciated.

Kaylee
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Hello Kaylee. Try this: start with flat land, go to edit terrain but don’t select any land, then click Raise repeatedly.
Kaylee West

Post by Kaylee West »

Hi Dot!

Thank you very much for that suggestion!

I tried exactly what you said and it did work, my land did rise uniformly. Is there a way to make it "thicker"? By this I mean that when I excavate out land to make a river, there will be banks running from the flat part of the land down to the water?

Kaylee
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Here are a couple of suggestions to create river banks.

The first method works anywhere in the region except at the edges. Use the terrain tools to select part of the land where you want the river (the land will be outlined in a yellow rectangle) then click "Lower". The land will remain continuous, stretching to create the river banks. Once you have the river, use the terrain tools to smooth out the straight edges or to slightly raise the edges.

The second method involves placing landform shapes to strengthen/thicken the river banks once the rivers have been scooped out with the terrain tools. Several Kitely merchants sell suitable sets in different styles, one of whom offers a basic landform kit for free -- you can pick up a box here: Worlds End Showroom.

To help with terraforming, try these tools from Kitely Market: Land Flattener, Bulldozer

For landform shapes, try searching Kitely Market for "river banks" or "landforms". I've personally used those from 21strom (lots of options!) and Worlds End (e.g. Earth Cliffs), among others.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsIlan Tochner
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

As Dot says those tools are your friends!
Kayakers Bulldozer has more features, but Land Flattener would probably work for you just fine. Esp. if you start with a 256x256 prim!
Please Please poke me inworld if you need help.. I'd be very happy to pop by for a minute and show you the tool.
If you like I'll even give you full access to one of my worlds so you can play around with the tools and go wild with the Terraform before you do yours if you like.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixSelby Evans