Did something change? (Parcel Object / Prim limit)

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Alexina Proctor

Did something change? (Parcel Object / Prim limit)

Post by Alexina Proctor »

I need to know how to override the following issue of excessive prims on a particular parcel.

Weefolk manager, Snoots Dwagon, on Wellspring reported:
"I just got a message at Weefolk Township: "Unable to rez object because the limit of 2788 prims has been reached."
So far nothing has been returned to my inventory that I'm aware of, but that would be a real risk.
This might be considered an "emergency". In the About Land box at Weefolk Township it states, "5074 out of 2788 (2286 will be deleted)"
The system is speaking of "parcel land capacity". Evidently something happened to separate parcels from the main world and count their prims separately. Because of the way Wellspring is set up (with some areas densely populated and other areas not so), we don't want it to limit parcels to per-meter prim counts."
These users thanked the author Alexina Proctor for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerSnoots DwagonAda RadiusPrax Maryjasz
--Alexina Proctor
Co-founder with Prax Maryjasz of Sendalonde Community Library
Library: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Wellspring
https://virtualpeers.com/
Ilan Tochner

Re: Did something change? (Parcel Object / Prim limit)

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Alexina,

We've added support for the viewer's built-in per-parcel object quotas to accommodate the requests made by people who wish to have tenants in their worlds.

Please read: https://community.secondlife.com/knowle ... Section__3

Note that you can use the Object Bonus feature in the viewer to increase the per-parcel object quota to exceed the standard area-based quota.

Because we didn't want to cause the accidental destruction of existing worlds, our system blocks adding additional objects to the parcel once the limit has been reached instead of automatically deleting or returning objects when parcels are over their allotted capacity. This means that It is the world manager / estate managers decision whether they wish to delete or return objects from parcels that have already exceeded their limit.

In other words, nothing will be automatically deleted or returned from your world because of this feature and you can increase the per-parcel object limit using the Object Bonus feature (as explained in the aforementioned link).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Alexina ProctorAda RadiusSnoots DwagonPrax Maryjasz
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Methinks Ilan handled this concept well (especially NOT auto-returning objects exceeding limits). ;D

As he states above, we went to World / Region Details / Region and set our OBJECT BONUS figure to 4.0 rather than 1.0... effectively increasing our prim allowance per parcel by 400%. (We can always increase this percentage if required.)

This was necessary because-- as with many worlds on Kitely-- the Wellspring megaworld consists of densely-constructed areas (the Sendalonde Library, Weefolk Township, other towns, plazas and shops), and non-populated areas (oceans). So we didn't want prim count linked to parcel size. Over-inflating the "allowed prims" via the Object Bonus figure allows us to overcome that issue.

Of course this means both residents and world owners will have to keep track of individual prim count, but that's how we were doing things before these new policies set in. So no changes there.

The good news is that after a brief moment of panic (those "will be deleted" messages can be unnerving)... everything is working well and smoothly. Thanks to Ilan for getting right back to us on this. (There's a reason Kitely scored very highly in customer support on Hypergrid Business.) :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerAlexina ProctorPrax Maryjasz
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

For the benefit of those who were not at the 2020/11/30 meeting, here are the four "Prim Policies" announced at that meeting, quoted:

> [13:56] Ilan Tochner: These are not options
> [13:57] Ilan Tochner: This is a list

> [13:55] Ilan Tochner: 1) Do what we do with world prim limits and block rezzing additional prims when the limit has been reached for the parcel.
> [13:56] Ilan Tochner: 2) Consider limits per user in a region (adding all the quotas from their parcels on that region) .
> [13:57] Ilan Tochner: 3) Not automatically return or delete prims over the limit (which can occur if a world type is changed) and leave it to the world manager / estate managers to do it (if they want).
> [13:58] Ilan Tochner: 4) Support the viewer object bonus to enable giving parcel owners more prims per square meter (which can cause them to reach the world limit if you don't manage it correctly).

Item 2 is an interesting concept-- if we have ability to set prim limits per individual user. A blanket figure would likely be of little use to anyone but land barons renting out identical parcels... and is already handled by item 4.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Alexina ProctorPrax Maryjasz
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~