Terraforming problem

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Alexkia Boxia
Has thanked: 0

Terraforming problem

Post by Alexkia Boxia »

Hello people,

I spent the last 4 days busy bee finishing Virtual Lisbon with Firestorm but for logistic reasons I had to build lower than regular (20m) fresh start regions, so lowered the ground and built everything quite close to the ground zero - Stuff sitting at 4m to 6m

Is now too late to go back cause I unlocked most builds to avoid server stress and there are thousands of parts

I now need to lower even more the river section for free swim, fishes and boats, cause the way it is now, Avatars can only get water up to half their body

The Terrain box allows me to setup lower terraform limit up to -100m but maybe is just an SL viewer legacy and I only need something like -10m or -15m, but when I use the terraform tool it does not go lower than 0m
My question is - Since I can't move all the builds higher in the sky (I can but would take me 3 days, arghhh), if I save the land to an OAR and than upload it back, will it keep the builds at the low level I built - 4m ? Or will it now show up at usual sims startup height 20m ?

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Alexkia Boxia on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Alexkia Boxia for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Terraforming problem

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Alexkia,

Exporting and reimporting the world will not change its content's elevation. What you can do is zoom out, change your viewer preferences to allow selecting far away objects then select the entire area of your world and manually drag it up to the height you want.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

To raise the build, try this:

Save an OAR of the build in Kitely, say "VirtualLisbon.oar".

Load the OAR into an OutWorldz instance on your desktop using the console command:

Code: Select all

load oar --displacement "<0, 0, 20>" VirtualLisbon.oar
This should load the objects 20m above their current height; it will also increase the level of the terrain.

Save the OAR in the OutWorldz instance, then load that OAR back into Kitely.

Reference: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Load_Oar
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please make sure to read the World Export Report when you export your world from Kitely to ensure that no content was filtered out of your OAR file: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

That's good advice from Ilan.

Here's what I do when I save an OAR from Kitely: Open the World Export Report in a web browser, then save the webpage, including the date and the World name in the filename, and rename the OAR file, adding the date to the filename. Then I save both files in the same folder. That way I can check what might need to be re-rezzed in world when loading the OAR at a later date.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

There is a trick you can use that comes in very handy (a friend taught me this a couple years ago). It has to do with TEMPORARY DERENDER.

It can be very difficult (if not impossible) to select an entire region at a time and move it (even moreso a multi-region world). So what you do is drag-select a small section of objects, edit them and carefully raise them to the desired height. Then right click, MORE / MORE / DERENDER / TEMPORARY.

The items you just selected and moved will vanish from your viewer. They're not just invisible... they're temporarily gone. They will reappear next time you re-log. (CAUTION: Be careful to not accidentally click BLACKLIST instead of temporary, or they won't re-appear.)

Pick a day when you've got lots of time, because you'll have to be online during the whole process. Go throughout your world, grab a group of items, raise them, temporarily de-render them. Then grab another group of items, raise them, temporarily de-render them.

When you're done, the entire world will look empty. Bare grass and water. Log off, log back in, and your world will re-rez at the newly adjusted height.

This is handy for so very many things. I once had to inspect an entire region for rogue scripts. I did it object by object, de-rendering each object as I inspected it. It understandably took quite some time, but when I relogged the entire region re-rezzed script-cleaned.

Hope this helps! : )
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixMook Wheeler
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~