Slow Loading Terrain Textures

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ada Radius

Re: Slow Loading Terrain Textures

Post by Ada Radius »

Kayaker Magic and I are working on the Character folder side of this - the system avatar definitions; armature, topology, LOD, morphs, targa files. Reverse engineering at this point with the objective of making better avatars. Ya I have a draft. I've posted before on it. Would love to be working with programmers on the rest of the code which includes stuff that affects avatars, such as Bakes on Mesh.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 4):
Snoots DwagonIlan TochnerKoshari MahanaChris Namaste
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Snoots and Ilan, I appreciate the realism.

It's a nice idea to have Opensim completely separated from SL, whether or not it could ever happen remains to be seen.

You have some good ideas, Snoot. I agree that it's hard for unpaid volunteers to commit their time, that's with anything really. Paying developers is the best idea but yes, finding funds to pay them would be difficult.

We can dream though. :)
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusSnoots Dwagon
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Koshari Mahana wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:21 am
Snoots and Ilan, I appreciate the realism.

It's a nice idea to have Opensim completely separated from SL, whether or not it could ever happen remains to be seen... but yes, finding funds to pay them would be difficult.
Actually, this is the interesting thing... and I'm going to include a personal caveat here.

Finding funds isn't all that difficult. People start major, major projects using Kickstarter every day. Some of these projects attract immense funding... if the project is popular enough. If it isn't... it fails, shuts down, no funds are lost.

With the Opensim community, if someone with a good reputation started a Kickstarter and the terms of the Kickstarter were spelled out and guaranteed on a website... then it would be up to the Opensim community and businesses that might benefit therefrom as to whether it wanted to fund such a project, which would develop both Opensim and an Opensim-specific viewer in a professional atmosphere. It costs nothing to make a pledge. It only costs if the project funding succeeds. So really, procuring funding isn't that impossible. People decide how much they can afford to donate to the project each month, and sign up on a Kickstarter subscription-- or whatever company handles the funding part. There are several companies: Fundrazr, Kickstarter, Patreon (a favorite for subscription funding), GoFundMe, and more.

The funding companies are already there and easy to use. What the project needs is the right person to start the funding drive. They need to know what they're doing (ie, experience with both Opensim and organizational skills), need to be a mover and shaker but not an egomaniac. It needs an experienced manager with available time and then once funding is procured, assigning a board of directors to launch the project. Yes, it would take some professionals. But really, things like this are done all the time.

And it's not like Opensim has no prior history or is a brand new "visionary" product that is as yet unproved. The entire foundation is already laid, with untold thousands of users and around 200 grids. It's already a proved concept. It just needs improved, and the Viewer specialized for Opensim, to break all dependence on SL.

Personally, I would like to never, ever hear again, "In order to do that we'd have to get Linden Lab's buy-in"-- something we hear all the time from Opensim and Firestorm devs (and that's not their fault under the current circumstance). But wasn't Opensim started in the first place to get away from Linden Lab control? So when do we actually accomplish that?

The personal caveat: it takes someone with relative youth and energy to do this. I'm not that person. At one time in my life I could have done so, but those days are a bit behind me. I've worked hard in virtual worlds for over 15 years; now it's someone else's turn. But it has to be someone who believes in the concepts, and who has the experience, knowledge, skill and willingness to pull it off.

But the funding? That's probably the easiest part. ;)
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Snoots Dwagon wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:35 am

With the Opensim community, if someone with a good reputation started a Kickstarter and the terms of the Kickstarter were spelled out and guaranteed on a website... then it would be up to the Opensim community and businesses that might benefit therefrom as to whether it wanted to fund such a project, which would develop both Opensim and an Opensim-specific viewer in a professional atmosphere. It costs nothing to make a pledge. It only costs if the project funding succeeds. So really, procuring funding isn't that impossible. People decide how much they can afford to donate to the project each month, and sign up on a Kickstarter subscription-- or whatever company handles the funding part. There are several companies: Fundrazr, Kickstarter, Patreon (a favorite for subscription funding), GoFundMe, and more.

The funding companies are already there and easy to use. What the project needs is the right person to start the funding drive. They need to know what they're doing (ie, experience with both Opensim and organizational skills), need to be a mover and shaker but not an egomaniac. It needs an experienced manager with available time and then once funding is procured, assigning a board of directors to launch the project. Yes, it would take some professionals. But really, things like this are done all the time.
It would take a very special person who is very trustworthy and as you said, has a "good reputation" too. A board of directors might be in order from the very beginning of the fundraising just for checks and balances. So many people in OpenSim have suffered because of grids suddenly shutting down so trust is of utmost importance. But fundraising is a very good idea, thanks for thinking of that!
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post:
Snoots Dwagon
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21